Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I'll Get By (With A Little Help From My Friends)

Joe Cocker, Re-visited - For Granny

  • Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket>
  • What would you do if I sang out of tune,
    Would you stand up and walk out on me?
    Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
    And I'll try not to sing out of key.

    Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
    Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
    Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
    .....

    Some of you may be too young to remember the great summer
    of Woodstock but yet are familiar with many of the songs
    popularized during that era. Granny, being younger than I am,
    was a member of that generation. I worked in rehab with some of the
    hippies of that era and am also familiar with their songs.

    Who can forget Joe Cocker and his "I'll Get By With a Little Help
    From My Friends". The title words have become a familiar refrain in
    American culture. To some, it has meaning within the context of
    (a) I'll get high with a little help...
    To a different sub-culture, it is meaningful and is used within the
    context of (b) I'll get by with a little help....
    And to some, both (a) and (b) apply in usage.

    Here we deal with the common usage of (b). During times of stress,
    crises and troubles, we need the caring moral support of friends.
    Family is one of the most important factors in our lives , if not the
    MOST important factor, and troubles in that area are stressful and
    heart breaking to the extreme.

    It is time for friends to circle the wagons and rally to Granny's
    support. Thank you, everyone.

    COMMENTS:
    The Future Was Yesterday said...

    Sing out of tune all day long - just not before breakfast. I can't handle singing before breakfast.:)

    Granny is in my heart, and prayers.

    Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:12:00 PM

    WA: FWY: you would NOT have enjoyed living in my parents' home, then. My mother was an early riser 365 days a year, getting up bright eyed and bushy tailed before God was even awake. She couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but she loved to sing, and mornings (before daylight) were greeted with her atonal, loud, joyful song. One of her favorites was:
    O! it's nice to get up in the mornin' when the sun begins to shine,
    At four or five or six o'clock in the good old summertime.....
    She couldn't bear to see anyone lying slug-a-bed so even in summer she rousted us kids out with:
    Wake up Jacob, day's a-breaking, peas're in the pot, hoecakes baking!
    How often did I wish I could stuff hoecakes in her mouth!

    Daniel said...

    Hey, Granny, each time life kicks us in the teeth we just have to get up, dust ourselves off, and starting punching again.

    By the time it's all over we don't have many teeth left but we sure are wise!

    Hang in there. We all need you!

    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:50:00 PM

    Hi, Daniel, thank you on behalf of Granny.
    ThomasLB said...

    I'll say an extra prayer for you today.

    Friday, August 17, 2007 6:01:00 AM

    WA: And thank YOU, ThomasLB. There can never be too many prayers and positive thoughts for our friends and families.
    Granny said...

    Hey guys. My net's been down for two days. I changed my mind about not posting and just updated "granny". I've already written to most of you but this is the latest.

    Thanks for the love and support.

    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:40:00 PM



    Labels:

    4 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home