Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Worried Made the Switch With The Dastardly Duo

I hope Granny's gmail has quite smoking and her computer did not self destruct after the email I sent her about 4 A.M. If evil thoughts could incinerate, both Blogger and Google would be mere dust in the wind, vaporized. I was hysterically frantic and infuriated and scared.

I haven't been able to access my blog through MF for a couple of days; every attempt to do so pulled up a page to switch to the new Blogger and it was impossible to get around it. I do not like MF (even though many people swear by it) and I use it as an alternate browser only for downloading pics from my photo file and for editing posts. It does better on those two tasks than IE. I circumvented the effort to force me into switching by going back to IE and using Photobucket for my pics.

Encouraged by the success of other people who have switched, I thought perhaps Blogger had finally cleaned out the bugs from the system (HAH!) so cautiously tried switching with 4 blogs that are mine but NOT in my Worried account; each has its own user account, email, etc. separate from any others. Worried is not even a team member on them. Switching was easy and an edit post page was pulled up on 3, but not the 4th. The email for the 4th had not received an email verification nor welcome mail from Blogger.You cannot re-do a switch. Blogger kept telling me that the blog had been switched and yet I could not access it as the email address had not been verified, emails must be valid! IT IS! (bleep! bleep!). On a 3rd blog used to store videos, not ONE, not a single, solitary ONE of my vids was moved to the new improved Blogger. Zilch, nada, nothing.
You can't go back to the old Blogger to try to retrieve absent posts either. So all my vids gone with the wind into the blogosphere, leaving only the archive blog that I use for temporary storage, not for keepers.

I threw a hissy fit, a snit as Gadfly calls it. After bouncing back and forth from Blogger "help" (HAH!), my emails, etc. I tried to access the dashboard again. Hissy fit #2. Now IE can't let me get to dashboard but displays the same( hated) message that MF did, refusing to allow access to dashboard until I switch. Leaving the computer to go watch TV for 30 minutes of pouting didn't change anything. I could NOT access my blogs.
I was being forced to switch or just abandon all my blogs, and I have a slew of them, most personal (art, science, private) as well as a couple of public ones, including this one.

With great trepidation I did the switch thing for Is America Burning. To my astonishment, Blogger not only listed all my Worried account blogs but also 4 that are under different accounts and on which I am NOT a team member but it was going to include them in the switch! For good measure it also listed the ones on which I AM a team member with the notice that those would have to switch also. I was trapped. After a long wait, Blogger said they would email me when they had finished switching those 8 blogs. Several hours later my Is America Burning email received Blogger's email verification and welcome emails. OK? NOT OK! An hour and a half of futilely attempting to access any of the blogs on the switch list and I was in a lather. Blogger either kept bouncing me back to "sign in" or to a "click to continue" page that NEVER continued.

Doing all the "help" things for inability to log in were useless. I was practically in hysterics of rage, frustration and fear. 12 blogs gone! Not only does Is America have over 2,000 posts, but many of my personal blogs represented many, many hours of research and downloading. ( I had mentioned some weeks ago about my Petra blog about the ancient civilization there had disappeared, and it was NOT switched - it just disappeared!)
I was frantic and about 4 A.M. vented my feelings in an email to Granny. I HAD to vent or explode. Poor Granny often receives the brunt of my hissy fits, which she seems to tolerate and deal with my Latin temperament most patiently and with great fortitude. Even when, as Gadfly says, my Italian temper joins forces with my Native American blood and I go on the war path.

After blowing off steam, I called it a night and went to bed about 4:30 A.M. Up again at 8 A.M., and still same song, second verse on the blog situation. AAAGGGHHH! Gadfly is a Lark, as opposed to my Night Owl proclivities, and she popped in about 9:30 A.M. for coffee, apprised the situation and prudently left, saying I was in a snit. Snit does not begin to describe the fireworks. Maintenance came by, the exterminator did his monthy do, the Meals on Wheels lady brought my lunch, and phone calls filled time with domesticities.

Around 11 A.M. I made another foray into hostile Blogger/Google territory and Lo! Everything pulled up perfectly! Having tormented me for well over 12 hours, the Dastardly Duo finally relented and graciously gave me my blogs. What I want to know is, why does it take a computerized system THAT long to do switching? If they have a problem, why don't they post a notice to that effect instead of letting a blogger suffer hell and risk having a stroke?

So Worried and Granny have made the big switch. I wish my switch had gone as smoothly as Granny's and others' did. I hope all goes well now with the Dastardly Duo and that no one else has the trouble I did. It is now safe for Gadfly to return. Peace and harmony are restored. Cheers.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home