Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, January 26, 2006

MISH MASH

I have been questioned about my identity and gently urged from some quarters to post my name. I don't see what's the big deal in using a pseudonym; most of the blogs I visit use pseudonyms. What's the difference in using Worried American or a made up name like Jane Doe?Granny knows who I am as do a few readers. But if it makes a difference to others, my name is Marie. That is my middle name and the one I've used all my many years, although on legal papers my first name is used.

When I first began using a computer in June/July 2005, a green as a gourd novice and completely computer illiterate, I leapt into the new (to me) wonderful world of the internet with boundless enthusiasm and naive innocence. I was ignorant of the dangers in that great new world, made some stupid mistakes, and had some bad experiences. I learned the hard way not to toss your identity to the winds to be exploited by bad guys.

Once burned, twice shy. I opened new email accounts using various pseudonyms for certain uses; others I use my own name(s), and those are used for people known to me. When accessing sites where I must log in, I use one of the pseudonym email acounts. Using "Worried" as the name on my blog in no wise reflects unfavorably on our readers; it doesn't mean that I distrust you. But as you well know, other blog surfers are not as decent as you are.

And I have discovered if someone knows your name and city, it is easy enough to people-find you. I have used people-find myself to locate old friends and misplaced relatives whose addresses have been lost in this very mobile society we live in. But not all people-find users have good motives. And good hackers can do a world of hurt.

So "Worried" shall remain so on this blog, even though you know I'm Marie. Good Heavens!! "Worried" isn't any worse than "Virushead" or some of the other blog names I've seen. People are very creative at times.

5 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:01:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Hi "worried". You used your first name on another blog but I'm still careful here.

    It's too late for me to worry about anonymity - I started off wrong and I can't unring a bell. Might as well let it all hang out.

     
  • At Thursday, January 26, 2006 4:35:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    Worried, whatever you call yourself, your voice rings true and will be the same. Don't worry about it. (No pun intended!!! Honest!).

     
  • At Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:52:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thank you. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :-)

    PT: No, I am not your mother-in-law, and my first name is not Colleen. I promise. My first initial is M., I am named after my sainted maternal grandmother and I honor her name. Only two people have ever addressed me by that name, discounting my mother when displeased with me and would use my entire name in authoritarian tones. Legal eagles etc. insist on first names so I have to tolerate that.

    Your wife is Danish? I am the usual mix of euro immigrants with Italian and Cherokee dominant, a mix of Italian excitable temperament and Native American stoicism. It's anyone's guess which side will be dominant at any given time.

     
  • At Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:41:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    PS: you can uncross your fingers.
    And I like you too.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 10:35:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Each of us has erred in one way or another. I have made some lulus. When we are caught up in the throes of early attraction, it is all too easy to make a mistake in assessing the strengths and weaknesses in another person. Those rose colored glasses, you know.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home