Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Good Old Days?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

From Alternet today.

The writer found an 80 year old newspaper behind a wall. The Scopes trial was the headline of the day. No, I don't remember the Scopes trial and I'm sure "worried" doesn't either. Most of what I know, I learned from "Inherit the Wind".

It was the intelligent design hullabaloo of its time, of course. And the good guys lost.

My great-grandkids (and my kids for that matter) are always surprised to hear we had running water, automobiles, and electricity back in the dark ages. Yes, and we wrote with pen on paper too; not chisel on stone.

When I tell people I was born during Roosevelt's presidency, I've become careful to specify FDR. Believe it or not, someone asked me once which one. Ouch.

Take a look at it.

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:32:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    The first time I ventured into "yankee land" I was asked if we still rode horses, stagecoaches, and fought Indians in Texas. Well, Texas is horse country so yes, riding horses was and still is done to a great extent. But we did indeed have automobiles, busses, trains, planes, and the Indians in our areas were pacific (in practise, although I would not have blamed them if in their hearts and minds they remained hostile, after what the euro-americans had done to them).

     
  • At Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:51:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    You should have heard me when my then husband proposed the move from San Francisco to Memphis.

    Sorry Elizabeth I learned to like Memphis for the short time I was there, especially the ducks at the Peabody.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home