Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was a mile or two away from that motel in Memphis in April 1968 buying groceries with my then mother-in-law. I'd gone out to bring the car around and turned on the radio to hear the breaking news. I walked back and got the store manager and he shut it down. We went back home and listened in horror. My mother in law was a product of her time and place in some respects but she was weeping along with me.

It would have been a tragedy no matter where I lived at the time. I was in California for JFK and Memphis still (in hospital giving birth) for RFK. There's no good place to hear something like that. But there's something about being right there that's different. It's still like it was yesterday.

I had an article clipped from Alternet about replacing Joe Lieberman in the Senate and I may get back to it or you can check it out yourselves. In the meantime here is Tom Paine today reminding us all to not lose sight of Doctor King's other goals which he did not live to achieve.

Ann

7 Comments:

  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 1:16:00 PM , Blogger Blog Monkey said...

    It's bizarre, as a Canadian, to see so many heroes and visionaries get murdered when the monsters run free.

    it is horrible that you have to honor the heroes with candlelight vigils and tears, with fading memories and heavy hearts.

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 1:24:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    Ann, thanks for sharing that experience. Liz posted a copy of the I Have A Dream speech on our blog today.

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 1:34:00 PM , Blogger Xpatriated Texan said...

    In so many ways, Dr. King's dream remains an elusive dream.

    I was only a baby, so I can't put in any rememberances of Dr. King or RFK - and obviously not JFK. Perhaps the biggest reason for the elusiveness of his dream is that lack of leadership on all sides.

    That brings me to Joe Lieberman. It is rare that I find a place where I agree with Joe. However, he is at least honest about what he believes and what he wants to do. In this day and age (and perhaps in all days and ages) that goes a long way. I have no problem with Democrats trying to get their party to resemble a party - but I think dumping Joe (whose seat is the very definition of safe) might be a self-defeating proposition. It's pretty hard to claim to be a "big-tent" party when you're busy kicking people out the back door.

    XT

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 2:35:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    I won't argue with you. I supported him for Vice President and everyone has a right to say what they believe. I do wish he weren't quite so prominent though because I think he's wrong.

    Since I don't live in CT, it's academic and I'm not going to jump on any bandwagon either way. Just thought the article was interesting. Support for this obscene war keeps dropping.

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 2:56:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    xpat - 1960 was my first presidential election and I voted for Kennedy. At that time, the voting age was still 21.

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 3:53:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    The more I read, the more I think I've visited xpat before - possibly just lurking.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:23:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Granny, that is an interesting post about your being in Memphis when King was assassinated. What was the mood here like? Were people divided about it, or was everyone pretty much upset about it?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home