Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Breeding Like Rabbits? Update

Gadfly is ahead of me on this one. TomPaine featured Biting Beaver's post today with a biting commentary of their own.

I'd linked to the Biting Beaver post here and I'm glad she's reciving some nationwide response. (Although at last count she had over 200 responses on her original post).

I'm the first to try for common ground but there is none with these fascists. We have to fight them on every issue, no matter how unimportant it seems at the moment.

Incidentally, I read a post about a week ago about a cult (near Seattle I think) that is very scary. They're scouring the streets for members and then encouraging them to breed. Does anyone but me remember Jonestown and the mass suicides? I'd like to link to that post but can't seem to find it. I'm almost sure it was one of our fine women bloggers. If any of you remembers reading about a new "mega church for street people" in the northwest, please let me know. I'll link to it.

Update. It's the Mars Hill "church/cult" in Seattle. I googled megachurch Seattle and recognized the name once I saw it. From there it was easy to find Echidne's post

I was almost positive it was Echidne. I should have read further back in her posts and would have found it sooner. I need to start bookmarking more or link immediately. I read it once again and it still spells Jonestown.

Jim Jones (I lived in San Francisco then) was something of a folk hero when he began his "ministry". He appealed to the poor and disenfranchised. He was welcomed in the inner political circles as a champion of the people. He glittered when he walked.

We'll never know if he was insane from the beginning or what caused the disintegration and eventual tragedy in Guyana but it's a sad example of allowing one person to hold that much power.

The Seattle megachurch is headed in the same direction.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 12:02:00 PM , Blogger billie said...

    i think that i am beginning to feel the same way. well said.

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:56:00 PM , Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

    Don't forget Vernon Howell, later known as David Koresh, later known (at least to himself) as God.

    They all prey on the weak, be it the mentally ill, or the temporarily confused, because no sane person would give them the time of day. Sadly, there's too many in our country that fit the two earlier discriptions.

    Severe, and constant paranoia is a mental illness. Yet, what does the far religious right constantly preach? "We suffer these trials and tribulations for the glory of God!" They cast the whole world as being against them. They are professional victims. In my youth, I don't know how many times I heard people "testify" that they had dreamed they were carrying the cross for Jesus. It becomes a "I can hurt worse than you" game, as dumb as it sounds. When you get to that point, you've got some major problems, and you ARE a major problem. But this hysteria is what feeds the Jim Jones and David Koresh machines. And although they claim sole possession of a healing, caring God, what do you see in all their churches? Constant fueling of the paranoia machine. Get them upset and keep them that way.

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:07:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    I was reading a post earlier this morning contrasting Waco and Jonestown, primarily with respect to racism. I think Jim Jones' insanity may have always been lurking but didn't manifest itself until Guyana when he began to think of himself as a supreme being.

    Koresh (as far as I know) never had that outside semblance of sanity.

    They have one thing in common; the willingness of the insane to sacrifice their followers in the name of whatever they profess to believe.

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 5:29:00 PM , Blogger billie said...

    and the willingness of the insane to follow the insane over the abyss like lemmings.

     
  • At Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:33:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    It is't just Mars Hill of course. Consider the Duggans of Arkansas. There's a nationwide movement called "quiverfull". Have as many kids as possible, home school all of them, and new generations of fascists will rise up.

    Scary but I don't have a solution.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home