Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, January 16, 2006

OK, DIMITRI, HERE'S THE SEVENS

Dimitri tagged Worried and I'm a bit delayed posting the sevens. I have a good excuse. I'm old and slow ( I said "excuse", not "reason"). Pleading age is a successful cop-out -- sometimes. The rule is to post seven answers for each category below.

Seven things to do before I die:

1). Try to forgive the 2 people who betrayed and wounded beloved members of my family in such life-altering and life-shattering ways.
2). Atone to my offspring for the mistakes I made when rearing them.
3). Revisit the American southwest, see Colorado & Utah, return to France just one more time. (just once more, please God!!)
4). Organize and print my poetry manuscripts; burn the novels (what drivel!!)
5). Paint my incised designs on the 2' clay vase, fire and glaze it.
6). Finish my Aztec warrior head and create one more sculpture.
7). TRY to understand at least 1/1000th of theoretical physics. (I know - doomed to failure, but I can continue trying, can't I?)

Things I can't do: (but once could)

1). mountain climb; 2). spelunk; 3). horseback ride.
(never could do): 4). see the pictures in those jumbled colored puzzles; 5).understand anything more than the most elementary level of physics; 6). grasp higher mathematics (forget calculus!); 7). go to outer space.(except in imagination when viewing Hubble photos or watching sci-fi).

Things that attracted me to blogging:

1). curiosity; what's a blog?; 2). window to outside world of people; 3) exploring other people's viewpoints and writing; 4). creating journals for personal expression; 5). creating my own forum for issues important to me; 6). meeting new friends; 7) all of above.

Things I say most often:

1). I love you; 2) thank you/please; 3). extraordinary!! ; 4). Fie on you!; 5).accept responsibility for your decisions & actions; 6). it is human to err but learn from your mistakes; 7). voice crying in the wilderness/ like Cassandra, prophecying to deaf ears.

Books I loved in 2005 (mostly old favourites):

1). America B.C., Dr. Barry Fell ; 2). my collection of Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky's books ; 3). The Da Vinci Code Books I & II ( ok, so I like exploring contrary viewpoints, odd theories, and I love mavericks who have the courage of their convictions even when they know they're going to be crucified by their peers); 4).my collection of Thor Heyerdahl's books; 5). Private Sector, Jeff Millar; 6). The Complete Works of Rudyard Kipling; 7). Hawaii, Michener. Ones I doggedly return to even though it's like wading neck deep in quicksand, because I'm totally fascinated even though I can't understand a fraction of their message:A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking and any other word the man has uttered or written; The Mind of God, Paul Davies; The Conscious Universe, Menas Kafatos & Robert Nadeau;The Day The Universe Changed, James Burke; everything by Isaac Asimov,including his fiction, although I DO understand most of Asimov.


Movies I watched more than once.:

1). Rob Roy; 2) Braveheart; 3). Windtalkers; 4)Ethan Frome; Liam Neesom; 5). Starman; 6). Tim; Mel Gibson; 7). Excaliber; 1981John Boorman version; and 8). Lovespell, aka Tristan and Isolde; 1981 Kate Mulgrew. (I haven't seen the new movie).

Now, according to Dimitri, I have to tag 3 people, who in turn have to post their 7s on their journal and tag 3 other bloggers. I hereby tag
Granny, Progessive Traditionalist, and Bohemian Troubadour.

Re: Stephen Hawking. I have the utmost admiration and respect for the man, almost idolize him. He came to the US, lectured at a Texas University, then gave a public lecture at the Pavillion outside Of Houston.
I was wildly excited and begged one of my daughters to take me. At the last minute she was unable to and I wept like a child and grieved for a long time. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I missed it. I still...well, never mind. I loved his cameo apprearance on ST:TNG and I watch and record every news item and documentary about him.My Hero!

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 7:50:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Re: the recommendation: I posted a comment on your music post.Thank you.
    When I said "most of Asimov", I did not mean THAT!!

    I thought of so much for the 7s, then after I posted recalled what I had forgotten and had meant to post instead of some things I did. At first you think you'll not think of 7, then when you think about it you could post a hundred -- at least on some categories. So many to choose from!!

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 12:52:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Good morning

    I was tagged about 6 months ago and have been trying to get around to it ever since.

    Since you asked so nicely, I'll try again but everyone I could tag has already done it.

    I like yours.

     
  • At Monday, January 16, 2006 4:52:00 PM , Blogger DA said...

    This was super interesting, sorry for costing so much trouble but I really enjoyed it a lot :-)

    I am a huge Hawking adept myself. In fact, he woke up my interest in quantum mechanics (and in relativity when age of 10). Same goes for the books of Dan Brown (read them all this year). They were my first novels I ever read.

    Why is Hawaii like quicksand to you Worried?

    I'll go check on James Burke, never heard of him..

    Thanks again :-)))

     
  • At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:31:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Progressive - the search continues through online book stores for "Dancing..." So far, no luck. Haven't had transportation to downtown library yet. Maybe could check online but I'm very much a tyro at computering.

    Dimitri - I should have made a new paragraph at the "quicksand" sentence. Not Michener; I like his books, so well researched. The hard ones to struggle through are the ones following. But, year after year I persevere, hoping a tiny shred will stick to my brain and elicit an "eureka!" moment.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home