Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, May 31, 2007

National Blogging for LGBT Families Day



I don't know if the "button" at the top of this post will show up or not. I can't see it but that doesn't mean it's not there. For some reason, I've been having problems viewing pictures and images.

Dana at Mombian reminds us that June 1st is Blogging for LGBT Families day and has asked us for posts. I'll be happy to.

This is a link to a post I wrote last February about LGBT students and the dangers they face in the schools. Dana assured me recycling was allowed.

I'm sure you know by now I'm the mom of a gay son and a charter member of our local PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians & Gays) group. I've marched in the San Francisco gay pride parade with my son and been as active as my time and energy permits in fighting for equal rights for all our citizens.

Our local PFLAG group in this small, conservative city, has marched, banner flying proudly, in our local parades and we've manned booths at every available opportunity. People are becoming accustomed to seeing us. They have even cheered or, at worst, been polite.

I've spent the last hour searching through the internet looking for statistics on LGBT families. Instead, I discovered Gay Family Support written by a woman named Debbie, not unlike me, with one gay and one bisexual son. She tells her own story and provides links which answer questions for parents.

It's written in conversational language, accurate and helpful.

My oldest great-granddaughter, Elcie, graduated from the 8th grade this evening. We're all immensely proud of course. You can read all about it over on "granny".

I posted pictures, one of which is a photo of Elcie's two younger sisters, Rebecca and Rochelle, with me and their Uncle Tim. Take a look and see if you think our multi-racial, multi-gender, multi-generational family poses a threat to anyone. Don't we look pretty much like everyone else?

I've made several friends in the blogging community who in one way or another are LGBT families. Lion Mom and her partner (now married courtesy of Canada) have adopted several children. Yondalla fosters gay teens. Foster Abba and Foster Eema are lesbian foster parents. Bacchus and his partner have adopted a little boy. Trey and his partner have adopted a little girl. And Mombian of course. Her blog name speaks for itself. Each of their sites has links to other parenting blogs. i wish I had time to read them all.

None of them are involved in undermining society. They're far too busy raising their families.

Perhaps someday we can stop attaching labels to families. We're no different from anyone else.
COMMENTS:

Kvatch said...
PFLAG always makes a big appearance at the Pride Day Parade here, and...next to the guys who populate the Department of Public Works float, always seem to be the happiest group on the parade route.
Friday, June 01, 2007 1:33:00 PM
Jo said...
Your family looks just like mine. Filled with love. Hugs to you and yours!
Friday, June 01, 2007 1:46:00 PM
betmo said...
i am sorry i missed out.
Friday, June 01, 2007 4:47:00 PM

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home