Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Marie, aka Worried, Speaks.

In the summer of 2005 one of my numerous cousins gave me an old, refurbished Compaq computer. He brought it to me at a Family Reunion. I was so ignorant of the usage of computers that he had to show me the button to turn it on! My daughter Jo opened an internet account for me and gave me a few basic instructions. After that I was on my own to explore through trial and error.

We will not go into the errors I made; they were legion. Frantic phone calls to family and friends ensued each time I made a mess of things. Each time, I learned: Do NOT do THAT again! Discovering the wide, wonderful world of knowledge available on the computer, I leapt joyfully into the internet universe and researched interesting topics, clicked on to links and adverts. It was so much faster than using encyclopedias and usually more up to date (although I find that some subjects are more complete in encyclopedias).

Ofcourse I promptly got into trouble. Being so ignorant of the scams and jerks in the internet universe, I got burned and burned badly. Once safe again, I became paranoid about my privacy and personal information. Also, I had personal reasons for keeping certain identifying data private.

In time I discovered the blog world and found something new to explore. Some blogs stood this old lady's hair on end but I found many good ones too. One was Rocrebelgranny, whom you all know as Granny Ann. I had started a blog of my own, Is America Burning, and invited Granny to join me. She did and as the saying goes, the rest is history. I think we have made a good team. She and I have much in common, including many similar life experiences. We two old Grannies have been through Life's Wars, and in so many instances "been there, done that".

Granny's Rocrebelgranny is a delightful chronicle of her life and the adventures of rearing three great grand daughters. It allows her readers to get to know her and become internet friends; many of them she has since met in person. Over the past year readers and my little group of emailing lurkers have asked to get to know me better. Granny and I mentioned my reticence in posts, but eventually I did tell a little about myself and family now and then.

Often I have wanted to know some of our readers better, to put faces and personalities behind the blog names. A few have shared bits of their lives through their blogs and emails and I have become quite fond of them. I have come to understand why some people were curious about me. Perhaps they want to know the person, not just the name signing a blog.

Therefore, I have decided to open a personal blog to public view. I emptied an old blog, renamed it and will get it ready for viewing. Some posts will be transferred from other personal blogs; some will be new additions; some will be transfers from this blog that some of you have already read. At first it will be a hodge-podge, not as organized and in chronological order as Granny's, and even after it is up and running may still be a hodge-podge. Granny and I have different writing styles. She keeps a running, day to day diary of activities and events. I tend to leap around like a flea on a hot griddle.

For any who have been curious about me as a person, the "new" blog will be opened soon. I will post about it and its url here. Thank you for your interest.

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:38:00 PM , Blogger billie said...

    that is very cool. in my short time in the blogosphere, i have met and become pals with quite a few very nice people. there have been some trolls but overall, people who blog are pretty normal. i think that you and granny have done a great job over here informing people of issues and what not and it is cool to get to know the people behind the blogging. good luck!!!

     
  • At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:52:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    Ditto what Betmo said! Although unfortunately, the bloggers I've 'connected' with live far and wide and you're the one I've come closest to meeting that one time in Houston..I sure hope we still can someday. I can appreciate your reticance, there are plenty of lunatics out there and just in general, how personal is personal? I've tended to not be so personal in my posts for the most part, but I've gotten usually more responses when I have done so. I am looking forward to your new blog and you just be that jumping flea, because considering it's a Texas one, it'll be a hell of a big one!!
    hugs
    Ingrid

     
  • At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:21:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    It will be nice not being the only one to let it all hang out.

    Ann

     
  • At Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:47:00 AM , Blogger Spadoman said...

    Please tell me where I can "meet" you. Sure like to know you before I take you out on that Harley Davidson scooter of mine.

    Good Idea Worry Wart. Like Betmo said. Lot's of great people here. Lot's of life to learn about. Good luck, and Peace to you ans to all.

     
  • At Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:06:00 AM , Blogger JBlue said...

    I look forward to reading more from you, WA. Your writing and insights are wonderful and should be shared. You're a fascinating person. I'm glad to have found both you and Gran.

     
  • At Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:14:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thank you all; I appreciate the kind words and the encouragement.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home