Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Getting out the Vote

For any of you who may not know, I live in Merced, CA (San Joaquin valley). We're part of the 18th Congressional District with the only Democratic (sort of) congressman in the area. The Congressman in our neighboring district to the north is Richard Pombo which should tell you something about what I live with on a daily basis.

Yesterday was the California primary and also a time when State and local issues appear on the ballot.

Two state propositions, one for libraries and the other for pre-schools were defeated.

We had one local issue, Measure A, which would have added a miniscule amount to our local sales tax to improve the roads in the county. The money would have stayed here and our roads are some of the worst I've seen. We don't need any signs to tell us when we've left Merced County for Stanislaus, the next county to the north. The road reminds us every time.

There was no organized opposition. Most people, if asked, said they favored it. It needed 2/3 to pass - it got 63%. Back to the drawing board once again.

The same thing has happened over and over with proposals aimed at improving our schools.

So what happened? 24% of the registered voters in the county bothered to vote. Of that 24%, you can be sure that enough of the opposition showed up. They view every election as important (as do I) and there are enough of them with a small turnout to swing an election

I'm sure the people who forgot or opted out thought a Primary in a non-presidential year was unimportant. The only real contest in our area was the Democratic gubernatorial competition between Westley and Angelides and I'll confess I almost flipped a coin. Our Senator was running basically unopposed and nobody opposed our Representative.

The same was true of the candidates for State office. A little competition, but not much. I cast a sentimental vote for Jerry Brown for Attorney General. Wow, he won the primary.

Why should it matter? It matters because our school buses will continue to roll on unsafe roads. Our moms and dads will continue to transport their kids on roads filled with chuckholes and crumbling shoulders. The county will do what it can to fix the worst of the worst but it's never enough.

It matters because kids who couldn't go to pre-school still can't.

It matters because our local library, already running on limited hours and with a largely volunteer staff, will have to struggle even more.

There's a pattern here. Every one of these issues affects our kids. The party of "family values" doesn't care so we must.

There was no excuse for the low turnout yesterday. California has some of the most reasonable voting laws I've seen and I've moved around a lot. Anyone can vote absentee by signing a form. No reason necessary. Read the ballot and fill it out, mail it back or drop it off. Our voter pamphlets are comprehensive, understandable, and timely.

We can probably get along with the roads we have now but November is coming up soon. If we want to take back at least one of the Houses of Congress, we somehow have to convince the 76% who didn't bother to vote that it's in their best interests to do so. You'd better believe the Republicans are several jumps ahead of us already.

I'll be doing what I can here and even if it's just helping with phones and mailers, it will be something. I'm tired of legislation by default.

Finally, although you're probably tired of hearing me say it, "all politics is local".

Ann

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:06:00 AM , Blogger Sothis said...

    Oy. For people who like to talk about democracy so much, Americans don't like to exercise their right to vote very much. 24% (of registered--I wonder what percent of eligible adults are even registered. Sickening.

    Maybe it needs to be compulsory like it is here.

    Please excuse me while I have an aneurysm.

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:15:00 AM , Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

    I vote!!! I know the odds are that the canidate I pick from won't win.
    A couple things that bothers me about the way the election are ran
    1. I like to see more then a two party tickets.
    2. Have election for two days. One time my hubby was planning to vote and they send him out of town and they got back after the polls closed.
    3.People with felony can't vote. But if I understand the law once you did your time and complete your probation or porale you can get your right to vote back.
    4. I heard some place in Europe it minnor afence if you don't vote.
    5. Some people are plan ass lazy to go out and vote. They have no right ot bitch how the goverment is being ran.

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If I lived in Pombo's district, I probably wouldn't turn out. What an uninspiring lout. Dresses like a slob too.

    But you're district...

    Here in Babylon by the Bay, we live in the world's largest political echo chamber, but hey I still vote.

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:13:00 PM , Blogger SheaNC said...

    Califoria's offical acceptance of Diebold voting machines is very discouraging, though. People need to be encouraged to vote absentee, or somehow to thwart the threat of republican vote fraud.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home