Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, March 09, 2006

More on South Dakota - from KOS today

South Dakota's new law has spurred one complacent person to take action. As I read the post, I noticed how much she sounds like me.

I've supported Planned Parenthood and NARAL. I've written letters. But I live in a "safe" state so what was going on elsewhere didn't directly affect me. Actually, I'm far past childbearing age so I suppose it doesn't affect me directly anyway. It does affect younger women though. It tells them they are chattel.

She talks about "haven" states if South Dakota's law and the others coming up are not overturned by the courts. We all know that was the objective in passing a law that would surely be overturned by the lower courts. They're counting on a majority on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe completely.

If this happens, I'll make my couch up into a bed and we can start up our own underground railroad. Unless, of course, California fundamentalists succeed as well. So far, we've beaten them back.

I was watching the news tonight (sort of). The report said that 1st trimester teenage abortions had declined in one of the southern states, (Mississippi I think). They went on to say that 2nd trimester abortions by young women 17-1/2 and above had increased substantially. This means that rather than stopping abortion, they were making it more dangerous. These women were delaying abortion until they didn't need parental consent.

This can still be stopped but we need less complacency and more action.

4 Comments:

  • At Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:02:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I entered the medical field years before Roe vs. Wade. At that time of my life I was anti-abortion; we were sworn to uphold life. But I changed my mind after seeing the burchery, septicemias, and deaths from "back street" abortions that came to the hospital to be salvaged or sent out to the mortuary. I was very glad when Roe vs. Wade was passed.
    I have also seen the abuse inflicted upon unwanted children, or children of single mothers so stressed and overburdened that they turn in desperation to some creep of a live in boyfriend for help with support, who abuses the child. Or the young parent(s) caught in a hopeless cycle of poverty who turn to drugs or alcohol for respite.

     
  • At Friday, March 10, 2006 5:49:00 AM , Blogger granny said...

    I spoke with an older family member who was born and raised in South Dakota about this. She said that they were always strange about this stuff and that the place was full of Catholics and Lutherans who were always feuding about their religious differences.

    She told me that the mindset there was that if you got pregnant you had it and you raised it because you were nothing but a dirty whore if you didn't and they would never let you forget it.

    So I asked her about other relatives and she told me they would be fine with the ban and I asked her how so and so would handle it if her favorite granddaughter got herself into trouble.

    The answer is that the grandmother would bring her granddaughter to Montana for an abortion.

     
  • At Friday, March 10, 2006 4:10:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Caitlins's story as well as the other granny's story prove that we will continue to be treated like not too bright children. And sluts as well, I mustn't forget that.

     
  • At Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:20:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Abortion is a serious medical/surgical procedure and is very dangerous for do-it-yourselfers. As are self-professed abortioners. I would advise travel to another state someway, somehow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home