Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ode to a Biting Insect (Skeeter?)

Some kinds of gnats do bite but also some people refer to skeeters as gnats. Puzzles me.

The image “http://www.mymotherlode.com/Home_Improvement/images/nuisance_mosquitoes.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Poem by Meleager, Greek Epigramist
Shrill-crying gnats,
shameless suckers of the blood of men,
two-winged monsters of the night,
for a little, I beseech you,
leave Zenophile to sleep a quiet sleep,
and see, make your feast of flesh from my limbs.
Yet to what end do I talk in vain?
even relentless wild beasts take delight
in nestling on her delicate skin.

But once more now I proclaim it,
O evil brood,
cease your boldness
or you shall know the force of jealous hands.

(from Greek Anthology)

Close this window Jump to comment form
Ingrid said...

Hello lovelies. Pardon my long absence. Having my children at home and not in school (yet) or summer camps has limited my online roaming abilities. Anyhoo, I'll be in San Fran next week for our holidays and then Idaho visiting friends and then SCHOOL!! (can't wait obviously)
BUT..speaking of gnats..I was told at a party recently that a certain pear lotion from Victoria Secret really (!!) helped ward off gnats during a camping trip. For all it's worth.. it might be something to check out.
hugs
Ingrid

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:01:00 PM

WA: Good to have you back, Ingrid. Welcome!


Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:01:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    Hello lovelies. Pardon my long absence. Having my children at home and not in school (yet) or summer camps has limited my online roaming abilities. Anyhoo, I'll be in San Fran next week for our holidays and then Idaho visiting friends and then SCHOOL!! (can't wait obviously)
    BUT..speaking of gnats..I was told at a party recently that a certain pear lotion from Victoria Secret really (!!) helped ward off gnats during a camping trip. For all it's worth.. it might be something to check out.
    hugs
    Ingrid

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home