Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, January 18, 2007

(Bleeping, bleeping bleep)Google, Mozilla Firefox, Blogger, IE, the Internet and Computers!!



Worried Squawks


I use Internet Explorer as my primary browser; I use Mozilla Firefox ONLY for editing posts (because it deletes faster) and for downloading pictures (better than IE for this purpose). Because Google and MF frequently give only one source when I try to access research sites, I use IE for research and when using urls.

Recently Microsoft teamed up with MF for emails and IMs and I don't know what else. I don't like MF for that so have to type in "Yahoo Mail" to access it by IE for my emails. Last night and today when doing research for various topics, using IE, I repeatedly got this message from Google, even when trying to access this blog either by url or by clicking on "see blog in a new window" or clicking on the tab on "edit post page".
-----------------
Google

Error

Server Error The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.
Please try again in 30 seconds.
__________
30 seconds , my foot! Try 30 minutes! Why Google if I'm on IE and not MF(who is affiliated with Google as is Blogger)? Last night when editing some of my blogs and downloading pictures, MF would suddenly bounce me back to a previously edited post. The final straw was when in the midst of selecting "browse" options to download some pics from my photo folder, MF bounced me back to the edit post page and had deleted at least 2 hours of research and downloading! Hell hath no fury like a woman whose blog work has been deleted!! MF is hooked on stale cookies and often will bring up a post days or even weeks old and refuses to give me a recent published page . Google used to be my favorite research vehicle but no more; I want more than ONE site to check out, or not some site that is totally irrelevant to the subject I typed in! Once in a blue moon it will give me multiple sites.

Daniel says that he switched to Beta with no problems; then when Blogger dropped Beta they switched him to the New Blogger, again without a "hiccup". He has had a good experience with it. That is good news -- but how about all those who switched and then clogged the Group Support pages with howls of complaints about problems and deleted or lost blogs? How about my blog on ancient Petra and the civilizations of that area that just disappeared as if it had never existed (the blog - not the civilizations that disppeared too). Why all the problems I have when blogging?

Is anyone else having problems?

5 Comments:

  • At Friday, January 19, 2007 3:35:00 AM , Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

    I don't understand what all you're doing with both browsers, but I always get multiple hits from Google when I research. Click on "Preferences" on the right of the Google search box, then down towards the bottom of the page that appears, look for "Results to show." You can type in the number you want shown per page. Much past ten, will slow your search down somewhat. Be sure you save your preferences.

    As for IE vs Firefox, I quit using IE years ago completely, so I can be of no help there, as I use Outlook Express for mail, and don't IM or any of that stuff.

    Google server "wait thirty seconds"...yeah, I ran into that a lot this A.M. It's just their new way of saying "Blogger is down." You know Google. They couldn't say shit if they had a mouthfull.:) (Now out of Beta) Beta Blogger is rapidly taking on all the characteristics of "Blogger." I just shut the whole thing off for a couple hours. My BP can't take a whole lot of Google at one time.:)

     
  • At Friday, January 19, 2007 3:36:00 AM , Blogger Spadoman said...

    I know that the MF you refer to doesn't mean what I think it means. :-)

    I am on an Apple computer and I have what they call Dot.Mac. It's a great e-mail system.

    For browsers, I'm stuck with MF and all the usual ones. I use google a lot. I hate yahell.

    Anyway, bitch away at em' keep em' on their toes!God knows we all suffer with these problems.

     
  • At Friday, January 19, 2007 3:51:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    I have to go into Yahoo Mail to get to IE too although friends tell me it's easy to toggle back and forth between that and MF (funny Spadoman - yes, that's short for Mozilla Firefox) although sometimes ...)

    Anybody else having problems adding to the blogroll? It keeps telling me I'm not signed in. How did I get into my own template (or this one) if I'm not signed in?

    Anyhow, I'll update over here when it stops being cranky. I have a feeling we're going to be forced in new and improved soon.

     
  • At Friday, January 19, 2007 9:18:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Friends tell me that my dislike for MF is due to my ignorance of the system, which is entirely possible. I have been on the computer for little more than a year; my introduction to it was being shown an important first step: "How To Turn On the Power". I have learned a lot during the past year of usage but have scarcely scratched the surface. I freely admit to being an ignoramous about the care and feeding of the machines and of all associated systems. I have heard a lot of criticism about IE (and Microsoft) but the only way IE fails me is in quickly editing posts and downloading pics. I prefer it for research. Perhps because I am accustomed to it. Some old folks like the familiar ruts.

     
  • At Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:08:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Good Heavens! Thanks, PT.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home