Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, June 26, 2006

Public Education

I talk a lot about the sorry state of public education on this blog, on granny, and many other places, including my kids' parent teacher conferences. I could devote pages to No Child Left Behind.

Carissa, one of the visitors to granny, blew me away with her post about public education in Indianapolis. It could apply to much of the country and it's well worth reading. Much of her post concerns the drop out rate between the first and last yers of high school.

Coincidentally, while I was typing and listening to the local news, I heard that our Superintendent of Education (CA), wants to add $10,000,000 to the state education budget to help high school kids pass the exit exam.

Why is it all about the exams? What happened to teaching? For that matter, what's happening to education? My oldest granddaughter, then around 13, didn't know where Canada was and didn't know Utah was a state. Frightening.

Thanks Carissa.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, June 26, 2006 9:26:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    Interesting stuff, and I am so glad to see 'regular', smart people have been able to speak on issues via the blogosphere..it is really a two way, multi-lane street!
    Ingrid

     
  • At Monday, June 26, 2006 9:49:00 PM , Blogger Carissa said...

    Ann -

    Thanks for the nod.

    I'm already frustrated with the standardized testing and it hasn't actually touched our kids yet. My son starts 2nd grade at the end of July and won't be required to take his first ISTEP test until 3rd grade. I can just imagine how I'm going to feel in a year when it does begin to be a bigger part of his school experience.

     
  • At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:23:00 AM , Blogger SheaNC said...

    Those on the right blame the failures of public education on liberalism, and their solution is to place kids into private religious schools. Argh.

     
  • At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:28:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    When my daughter/grand daughter (adopted) was about 12 or 13, I was unaware of her ignorance of geography until we were flying over the snow capped Rockies and she exclaimed, "Oh Mommy, I didn't know we were already over Switzerland!" She thought they were the Alps. Being born and reared on the flat land Gulf Coast, she was ignorant of the fact that the U.S. had mountains like that and their location. From experience she was better acquainted with European and N. African geography than of her own native land. I then endeavored to teach her what her schools had failed to do. Yet now, in her thirties, she still has poor knowledge of the States.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home