Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Mid-terms Coming Up Soon

The elections, of course. Our opportunity to take back at least one House, preferably to me the Senate.

I'm going to try to get a day away from the kids tomorrow and march in the Gay Pride parade in San Francisco. My younger son is already there and my older son, his wife, and new baby have suggested using my larger vehicle (no it's not an SUV - just an extended mini), splitting expense and going down for the day. Sounds like a plan.

Our PFLAG chapter will have matching t-shirts for the occasion and the Fresno chapter will be using a bus if the entire parade route proves too much for this great- granny. The last time I marched was 15 years ago when I still lived in the city.

Then I'll come back here (Merced, CA) and try to help defeat a couple of local issues. I don't hold out a lot of hope but I can at least try. My city is growing without a plan and the results are all too obvious already. Our Mayor and all of the City Council are realtors. There is no competition for public office. It's a smaller version of Boss Tweed.

Which brings me to the mid-terms and this link to a Tom Paine article.

There are many reasons to dedicate ourselves to sending the bigots and the self serving morons into early retirement at our local, state, and federal levels of government. This is one of them. Here are a few others.

They defeated minimum wage once again.
They are trying to eliminate the Voting Rights Act.
Iraq - don't get me started on that one.
Women's reproductive rights? More of a state by state issue for now but the Federal government's stupidity isn't helping.
Education? A joke.
Family values? They don't know the meaning of the word.
The Constitution? Gee, what's that. They are turning this country into a dictatorship through their apathy. Even the Democrats believe that sacrificing our cherished liberty for some nebulous vision of "security" is acceptable.
Social Security, decent medical care, housing, the list goes on - and on.
Corruption throughout including the voting process

We could each make our own lists.

Keep writing. It can't hurt and it might help.

Ann

Labels:

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home