Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Ann Marie and Anna Jarvis

Thanks again Marty for the reminder about these two amazing women.

Ann Marie (mom) was a peace activist and fighter for worker's rights in West Virginia. She planted the seeds for Mother's Day. Her daughter Anna pushed for its establishment nationwide.

As I'm sure all of you know, she came to hate it because of the commercialization.

That's true of every holiday of course but I'm enough of a traditionalist to be glad for a day to honor all women. While we're at it let's remember our moms and other great women the other 364.

6 Comments:

  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:01:00 PM , Blogger jay lassiter said...

    i will be with my mom tomorrow. i am so lucky.
    women deserved to be celebrated.

     
  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:06:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    My birth mom died several years ago. My adoptive mom is still doing well at 93. Unfortunately, she's 3,000 miles away.

     
  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006 11:50:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    Happy Mother's Day Ann. You too Worried.

    I'll be spending the day with my mom tomorrow. She's 85. Still has a perky attitude, but slowing down physically.

     
  • At Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:04:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    At 7:30 P.M. tonight (Saturday) I kissed my 96 year old Mother goodnight, in a hospital 250 miles from my home. This amazingly resilient, tough little old lady has once again confounded her doctors by rallying back from death's door. Each time she is more impaired but her spirit is unquenchable. This new episode has left her unable to walk and able to stand only with assistance. Yet in her moments of clarity she is the eternal mother, warning her daughters and grand daughter to be careful and drive safely as we leave the hospital. She kissed us back and said, I love you".

    How many times does an offspring hear those words? How many times do actions speak louder than words? How much do we owe our mothers?

     
  • At Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:48:00 AM , Blogger Tina said...

    Happy Mother's Day Granny Ann and Worried. I'll be spending a few hrs with my mom on Sunday, as well as with my sisters and their families as we attend my big sister's eldest daughter's high school graduation. YIKES! I was 14 when my neice was born... wow, I feel old. My big sis is almost 10 yrs older than me (she was born just after my dad was sent to Vietnam, and when he came back the last thing my mom needed was a new baby to care for since my dad was injured). I wish you all a wonderful Mother's Day, and I hope your families share a special day with you.

     
  • At Sunday, May 14, 2006 2:06:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    Tina - It's good that you're close on Mother's Day. (Almost moved you to Prague - nope - that's The Other Tina. I'm always doing that with the two of you.

    Worried American - I'll be thinking about you. Take care of yourself.

    Ann

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home