Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I started to comment on Granny's remarks following her post "Pentagon Being Sued.." but decided to post instead.

Well said, Granny. 100% on the mark. Even when we disagree with the views of others who may have opposing beliefs or goals, we respect their right to believe as their conscience dictates and their right to express those views and beliefs. It both annoys and saddens me when people make a personal attack on others who disagree with them and those who engage in a private war with "opponents". All too often the immediate response to an opposing view is a virulent, personal, name-calling attack instead of a rational debate of the issues.

Although I am usually a staunch defender of my beliefs, I have a few times been persuaded to a different viewpoint by reasoned and logical discourse and a factual presentation of the other side of the coin. However, I am immediately turned off and therefore deaf to opposing views if the rebuttal consists of personal attack. Winning me to their side is lost, and I'm sure the same holds for those fence-sitters who are undecided. Attracting adherents to one's cause cannot be accomplished by attacks. Internecine warfare is, as my giant Webster's defines it, mutually destructive to both groups.

I have mentioned here before that I am an avid reader and I either subscribe to or access numerous sources of information, mainstream publications as well as alternative and foreign news and even some wonderfully oddball, wierd and wacky sites. Some of the latter I have described as "fall out of my chair laughing" but I have found in every kind points of dissention as well as points of agreement. Even the fatherest out of the latter sometimes contain kernels of truth (as I see it). One may find lovely flowers blooming in rubbish dumps as well as in our cultivated gardens.

You and I are old enough to remember the Desiderata. Although some Christian groups decried it as "New Age!", as if it was straight from Satan's mouth, it contains much wisdom and I keep a copy on my wall next to my computer station. Truth and wisdom are sought where ever we may find it.

"As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:07:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    On one of my war blogs a commenter left a remark, "anti-abortion faggot". Since my blog there is about the war(s), I cannot see the connection to abortion. However, since I am pro-abortion, addressing me in such a manner is certainly not conducive to leading me to embrace an anti-abortion viewpoint.

    Besides that, the epithet "faggot" is offensive to me and that is a destructive move on anonymous' part, also.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:43:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    As I told you in my email, I was called a racist c--t over on granny.

    I could have understood wing nut,liberal, pinko,feminazi or fag hag but racist? Obviously they never looked at my banner.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:55:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Hi PT. I just sent you an overly long email.

     
  • At Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:09:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I have been called "wishy-washy" for changing my mind about an issue. I do not consider it so, for I can be a "hard headed woman, head like a rock" when I firmly believe in something. However, I do not believe we should be so rock headed that we cannot decide upon a different position when properly convinced by previously unknown facts. We should not be stupidly stubborn, but intelligent enough to weigh the facts and come to a reasoned conclusion.

    Don't worry about school days rules of grammar, PT. None of us are vying for the Peace Prize in literature. Anyway, one of my favorite columnists who also had a best seller of sorts advised the college kids at a seminar to "write like you speak". In speaking, we begin sentences with conjunctions, use partial sentences, leave prepositions hanging, etc.. In casual conversation sometimes we even use the unforgivable word "ain't". In mine and Granny's day that grammatical sin would earn you a 1,000 word essay to teach you better language skills.

    Glad to see you out and about again. We've missed you. Hope you are finished with all your relocation efforts.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home