Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, February 20, 2006

Joe McCarthy and an obituary

We don't seem to have learned much from the McCarthy era. I've been chatting back and forth with a friend about Pete Seeger and the Weavers who were almost destroyed by the man's insanity. Today, the New York Times printed an obituary of a former Smith College professor, Joel Dorius, whose career lay in ruins due to the evil done by one man and the country which was complicit in that evil.

A fellow professor's home was raided and the professor forced to name names. Dr. Dorius was among those named. I had known about this case because of the San Francisco State connection but hadn't thought about it in years. Mr. Dorius was 87 and by now most of the McCarthy victims are either quite elderly or dead. We who were young then still remember the fear.

For further details you can also read the Doug Ireland story today. It's the second article down. (Easier to link the whole post than to single out the one story).

This particular story involves homosexuality but in those days it could have been anything. The paranoia of the country was approaching insanity with McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover leading the pack. It took a few courageous men to stop it in its tracks but not before it had done its damage.

Is this where the country is headed once again? The days of the witch hunts? So it would seem.

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:56:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It certainly appears so, Granny, unless the people rise up and create such a loud protest that the whole world will hear, AND unless some of our elected representatives develope some masculine attributes and stand up against that little tyrant.

    It also appears that the interrogators at Guantanamo have adopted some of McCarthy's techniques. As I said in an email to you - keep hammering away at the poor wretch until he gives you a name, any name, and tells you something, anything to get the interrogator off his back.

    Hello, Progressive. Glad to have you here. I appreciate your comments.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:41:00 AM , Blogger JBlue said...

    PT, I know just what you mean about this blog, and I agree. You said it well.

    Are people really still saying "Commie Pinkos"? I know I made a joke about it on my blog awhile back, but I thought that term had died. Funny.

    I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm off to whine and dine.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:23:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Interesting points, PT. I did live through that time, but I was a child, so the perspective I have is different from the one Granny & Worried would have.

    Julian--not sure about the Commie Pinko thing. It is kind of funny, though. I guess people in the Communist countries are still using "Imperialist Dog", too.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:58:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    From what you've read? That figures.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:47:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    I had forgotten "Imperialist Dog." Thanks for the laugh, Liz!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home