Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sophisticated and politically correct

I started to answer Worried American's comment with a comment of my own and then decided to answer her here.

"Worried", you would have to read the letter in context. It's as if he put sophisticated and politically correct in quotes.

Trust me on this, neither term was meant as a complement.

Funny thing is I'm always getting in trouble for not being p.c. enough. I can't keep up with the terminology and I think some things get a little silly.

The fundamentalists are always coming up with new ways to describe us. While I, personally, would prefer the word "progressive", I've decided to make their descriptions my own and remove a little of the sting. Therefore I'm a woolly headed, pinko, flaming liberal who should go back to San Francisco where I came from with my fellow commies.

Sophisticated is a different thing entirely. It did have me rolling on the floor laughing. I'm much closer to the lower end of the economic spectrum than the upper and I read with fascination the doings of the "sophisticated" folk here.

On second thought, here's the letter. Brokeback Mountain opened here on Friday so he must be gnashing his teeth by now.

I'll save my comments on his glorification of John Wayne movies for another rant.


Delivery of The Sun-Star

Film shouldn't show here

Last Updated: January 26, 2006, 07:30:33 AM PST

Editor: After reading the sophisticated and entirely politically correct Ann Adams' letter to the editor regarding "Brokeback Mountain," I could not help but respond in brief. The reason this movie is not showing in Merced is because it wouldn't sell here.

Hollywood has sought to reshape the political landscape and push its leftist opinions on the masses in the package of film for years. Anytime a filmmaker produces a new diatribe that pushes the envelope a little further on morality and takes a jab at traditional values, the inner circle of Hollywood pat each other on the back, go on and on in the media about what a brave leap the director took, and predictably rake in the Golden Globes and Oscars. I have come to discover in recent years that the films that usually do the best at the Academy Awards are often not those that the public loved or found value in, but rather the pictures that were the most risque and presented a bold liberal agenda the most effectively. How many times have I heard people say that they were so disappointed in the movie that just won best picture? More than just a few.

Which brings us to why "Brokeback Mountain" is not playing in Merced County. Bearing only the credentials that Hollywood has proclaimed a movie to be bold and praiseworthy is not enough for us. We don't take Hollywood's word for it. Homophobic? The literal translation would be "fear of homosexuals/homosexuality." I don't think I would choose not to see "Brokeback Mountain" out of a fear of homosexuals. Let me explain why I would not and why the theater owners believe a majority of Mercedians would not want to spend their hard-earned cash in support of this film.

There are too many people here like myself who want to preserve the sacred symbol of the cowboy and everything he has meant for the past 200 years in America. The cowboy is chivalrous and masculine. John Wayne and Roy Rogers wouldn't have left their wives for a love affair with the Lone Ranger. This movie is a twisted distortion of a classic and traditional film genre made with a political agenda at its core. I feel safe in saying that the minority who want to see movies such as this showcased in Merced will have to wait for a long time. There are too many in Merced who want to take back the cowboy from Hollywood and are applauding the fact that the movie theaters have chosen not to show it.

In closing, I will leave you with the words my good friend heard spoken recently by an old leathery skinned cowboy in west Texas: "In all my years, I ain't never seen or heard of a gay cowboy!"

6 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:32:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I was not questioning your reaction, Granny. I was commenting on my own ignorance of the labels people use now days. About the time you think you've grasped one, it evolves and changes to mean something else, especially in the language of the young. I THOUGHT the terms meant this or that; I didn't mean that I was questioning your reaction. I have been labeled, too, and sometimes followed your example of adopting the label as my own. When I referred to you as more politically correct, I thought I was saying that you are more on top of issues, more aware and knowledgeable; I certainly meant nothing less than complimentary. I apologize if it came across differently. If you have been maltreated because of your stand, I understand why this would be a sensitive issue for you. But Hey! I'm on your side; I'm not a detractor.
    I am glad there is victory in Merced and the citizens have won the right to choose whether or not they see a movie.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:36:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Perhaps he thinks it better if the cowboy kisses his horse.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 4:48:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Politically correct has been one of these phrases that is open to interpretation.

    It's become more perjorative than complimentary lately.

    I've seen examples of "political correctness" which make me cringe. It mainly involves taking a good thing to extremes.

    I'll send you some examples - they abound, unfortunately.

    Sometimes it's a question of keeping up with "proper" terminology (which seems to change daily). I used the word "tolerance" here once and was misunderstood. To some it seemed condescending although that was the last thing I intended. I apologized and found another, more politically correct, word.

    The people in this city who are called "politically correct" are the progressives. No matter the subject, that's what we are called.

    Remember Adlai Stevenson? Remember he lost? He was smeared as an intellectual, the worst thing anyone could be at that time. P. C. is this generation's intellectual.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 4:51:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    This being a family friendly blog, I won't tell you what my first thought was about cowboys and critters.

    Feel free to delete if I'm over the top.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 5:40:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    The cowbody is a "sacred symbol"??? Well, that was my laugh for the day. Thanks.

     
  • At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:36:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    ain't never seen or heard of a gay cowboy. ??

    Probably because a gay cowboy with an IQ greater than a gnat would have sense enough to stay so far back in the closet he couldn't see daylight. The consequences of such a revelation in that area and during that old man's time -hah! even today!-would have been very bad.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home