Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Friday, January 27, 2006

John Kerry - filibuster

At this point I really don't care about the expert's opinions on political motivation. I really don't care about their doomsaying editorials or their comments on CNN. I don't care what anyone may think of Senator Kerry as a Presidential candiate. That's history now. I especially don't care that the experts are sure we can't muster 41 votes.

I do care that someone, somewhere, is doing something. Unless your electricity has been off today, you fellow Yanks know that Senators Kerry and Kennedy are trying to gain support for a filibuster of the Alito nomination. Good for them. I bet by tomorrow the Junior Senator from California will be joining them. In fairness, she wouldn't be the best person to lead a parade. I adore Barbara Boxer and her big mouth but she might do better in this instance to hold Senator Kerry's coat. I hope Senator Feinstein will join as well.

I'm not sure how much value these petitions have. I'm not sure of mass produced email or phone calling campaigns either but I sign things and make phone calls faithfully.

This is a link to John Kerry's website.

I signed the petition on the theory that something is better than nothing.

The link in the title will take you to his web site. The petition is there.

Take care everybody.

Ann (granny)

8 Comments:

  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 1:19:00 PM , Blogger -epm said...

    Having Kerry and Kennedy as the frontmen for opposition to Alito is a mistake. These guys are damaged goods and have little sympathy in the hearts of those middle American voters we need to attract, not alienate.

    We need a woman's face on this opposition. And the opposition has to be framed as reproductive and medical rights, not strictly abortion rights. Also, rather then just focusing on Alito's pro presidential powers attitude, we need to recast his views his anti congress poer -- as antagonistic toward the people's self-rule through their representatives.

    A filibuster will not only fail, it will be ill received by the broad middle fo the American public. We can better use our floor time to cast Alito (and Bush) as anti Jane & John Doe... as insensitive to anyone but the corporate class... in effect as damaged goods.

    Chip, chip, chip away at the credibility of the Republican leadership and their view of America. Keep your eyes on the prize of 2006 and 2008.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 4:16:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    I'm not sure about Kerry, but epm's probably right about Kennedy, unfortunately.

    Anyway, I've done my part, Gran.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 6:33:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Yep me too. epm could be right but when, if ever, are we going to stand up for anything?

    I just keep thinking about 30 to 40 years ahead with Roberts, Thomas, Alito, no matter who is President.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 7:30:00 PM , Blogger -epm said...

    I'd like to revise my comment. I heard snippets of Kerry's speach on the Senate floor and I was impressed with it impassioned but surprisingly non-partisan tone. He wasn't railing about the Republican party, but was talking about preserving American values from a repressive government/courts.

    He must have been reading my comments. :)

    We're all kinda wonky here. We're not concerned with Kerry as a man -- as a leader. But he has to be careful not to come across as a bitter loser in the eyes of those less, shall we say, less informed.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 7:47:00 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I sent e-mails to my Illinois Senators, Obama and Durbin, supporting a filibuster.

    Give 'em Hell. Don't give up the ship.

     
  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 9:02:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Good for you!! I wish more people would do that!!

     
  • At Saturday, January 28, 2006 9:21:00 AM , Blogger JBlue said...

    Epm, your post started me thinking about this Democratic leadership thing. One thing the Republicans do well is come out with no shame and downplay their failings. they put on a brave face. Our guys should maybe borrow a page from their book and stop apologizing for being what they are, stop with the defeatist attitude that seems so pervasive, and stop fearing/admiring Karl Rove.

    Thanks for the thoughts!

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 4:26:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I linked over and signed the petition. Please, all our readers do so, too. And tell your friends.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home