Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, January 30, 2006

I Know Less About This Than Almost Anyone But

I'm sure I've mentioned before that science as it applies to the environment is not my strong point. I'm concerned and I do what I can as an individual to conserve resources. I let the experts do the talking as rule; it's their field, not mine.

What I do know is how to read a weather report. Our temperatures for next week will range from the mid 40's to the low 60's (Fahrenheit) For the rest of the world, just think unseasonably warm (or you can subtract 32 degrees and divide the result by 1.8 and come pretty close). Usually by December or January, I'm scraping ice off my windshield many mornings. Not this year.

I also know that I live in an area with some of the worst air pollution in the country. Asthma rates in kids are through the roof and adults have an unusually high incidence of COPD and other lung problems. The schools have flags showing the air quality for each day and often the kids are kept indoors. Everybody is busy pointing fingers at each other. Many are blaming the cows and there is a grand debate going on whether it is the front or the back end of the cow that is the culprit.

I've been reading posts written by people much more knowledgable than I. They discuss melting glaciers, ocean currents, and many other things way over my head. Some think we're already past the point of no return.

I was clearing out the Sunday email and found the above article in the Washington Post. It bears out what I've observed here. It also says the government has been concealing much of this information. What a surprise.

Just one more thing to worry about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home