Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Politically correct

I found much too much info about political correctness on google. Much of it came from the conservative side of the fence. It seems to be a term they, not we, coined.

Since I didn't want to wade through page after page of their tripe, I settled for Wikipedia which at least shows some balance.

When I refer to myself as vertically challenged rather than short, I'm being politically correct. I'm also being a little silly. P. C. has both its good and bad sides and the article seems to set out both of them.

I can't even keep up with the correct terminology for my great-granddaughter's cerebral palsy. Is she handicapped? Disabled? Orthopedically challenged? I keep seeing new, more correct verbiage. She walks with crutches outside the house and uses a wheelchair at school. Some say otherabled. I just can't tie myself in those kind of knots; therefore, I'm sometimes politically incorrect. She refers to herself as handicapped but she doesn't let it slow her down. To her the word doesn't matter. Maybe as she grows older, it will.

On the other hand, language is important and the words we use, even when well meaning, can hurt. Hearing impaired rather than deaf (or worse, deaf & dumb) went a long way toward opening doors. Much of the old language needed to be retired along with the thinking that produced it.

I'll just go on doing the best I can with the English language and hope people understand my feelings even if my words may not always be as correct as they should be.

Ann

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:03:00 PM , Blogger Jim said...

    Granny-

    Thanks for visiting Earth Home Garden Today.
    I've been enjoying your comments at Madcapmums for quite awhile.

    I'll come back here and peruse your thoughts when I have some more time.

    Jim

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:20:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    People get carried away with P.C., but at the heart of it lie good intentions. However, P.C. is like eitquette, which is meant to make people MORE comfortable and not to be used to intimidate people or make them feel inadequate. If someone is using either that way, they're missing the point. I think people of good sense tend to recognize good intentions.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:27:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    I'm taking a class called The Exceptional Child right now, and the teacher made an interesting point about what is accepted practice in discussion children with special needs these days. She said the important thing is to put the child first, as in "a child with autism" rather than "autistic child" or just "autistic." Recognize and identify their individuality and humanity first, she told us. I liked that! I had not heard it before, but I've made a conscious effort to use that phrasing in my homework and in discussions. It's becoming a habit, and I like the connotation of it.

     
  • At Monday, January 30, 2006 12:39:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    I like that too and of course you're right. Elcie is an individual first.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home