Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Monday, September 04, 2006

A Labor Day Post of Sorts

Karrie, who comments here, has written a post about Take Back Your Time. This organization is promoting better working conditions for parents in the USA and Canada.

Not that everone doesn't need better working conditions of course but the workplace should be much more sensitive to the problems of parents, especially when both work. This country talks about family values but doesn't do much else.

The post has a list of suggested legislation as well as a link to the organization with a free email signup (which I did).

It's a good list although there are a few more things I can think of; primarily making provisions for breast feeding mothers to pump during the work day. If it was on the list, I didn't see it. Right now, legislation is spotty with only five states incorporating it in their laws and two more on the verge of doing so. These moms may not be able to stay home for the recommended year of breastfeeding and employers aren't eager to cooperate in many cases.

Our much vaunted Family Leave Act comes without money attached. Many parents can't afford to take the time. Even Canada (according to my Canadian friends) has a spotty leave policy with the lower income people excluded. Each Province sets its own policy for some aspects of the leave time.

There's much more of course.

They've scheduled a Take Back Your Time Day for October 24 and will have updates as plans are completed. Yes, I know how some of you feel about special days but I'll still publicize this one. It's a subject near and dear to me having worked most of my adult life; much of it as a single parent or primary wage earner.

While I'm here and before Blogger goes on strike once again (I've been trying to post this since early morning), welcome to new commenter Patry Francis. She's soon to be a published author with a book, published by Dutton, coming out in February 2006. I'll try to watch for it and hope she'll send us a reminder closer to the time.

Her latest post is lovely and I recommend her blog.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, September 04, 2006 6:44:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    yxhimxI like her blog, Granny. She writes beautifully.

    Re: the pedophiles - too much raving and ranting for a comment box.

     
  • At Monday, September 04, 2006 7:18:00 PM , Blogger karrie said...

    Thank you for the link, Ann. I'm off to look at Patry's blog after this comment.

    Somewhere in our double-stacked bookshelves I have the Timeday book. I also would have liked to see a little more family focused goals mentioned in Timeday'a agenda. I need to find the book and see if they touched on those issues, since I was a single, wandering, Jill of all Trades type when I bought my copy.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home