Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Book Meme - Update

Somehow this disappeared and showed back up on our index as a draft.

Trying again.


Here's a meme from Marty at On the Homefront.

Normally I save the memes for "granny" but since Marty tagged the two of us as a blog, I'm posting my replies here. I can't speak for Worried American, the other half of our blogging duo.

Please note the absence of anything overtly political or current. I do well to get through the newspapers and political journals on line and by the end of a day dealing with three kids, I don't want anything more serious than a good detective story.

I've been trying to get through one excellent book since last spring and may have to start back at the beginning. (See #8)

==============

1: One book that changed your life: Alcoholics Anonymous "The Big Book" (no secret here. Almost 27 years sober - it's just not something I talk to death)

2: One book you have read more than once: "To Kill a Mockingbird" - Harper Lee

3: One book you would want on a desert island: "New Kobbes' Complete Opera Book" - Earl of Harewood (so I could listen in my mind as I read)

4: One book that made you laugh: "And So It Goes" - Linda Ellerbee (a woman after my own heart who has never received the credit she deserves)

5: One book you wish had been written: "How To Survive the Terrible Tweens With Your Faculties Intact" (Anybody out there who doesn't know what a tween is? It's any kid between the ages of about 10 and 13. Yikes)

6: One book you wish had never had been written: "Flowers in the Attic" - V. C. Andrews (How many sequels and a movie? Now the girls have discovered it. Yuck)

7: One book that made you cry: "And the Band Played On" - Randy Shilts (and it still makes me cry along with his other book, "Conduct Unbecoming". RIP, Randy.)

8: One book you are currently reading: "I Know This Much Is True" - Wally Lamb

9: One book you have been meaning to read: "The Murder Book" - Jonathan Kellerman (what can I say? I like the Kellermans - both of them)

10: Now tag five people:

No tags from me. Join the party if you wish and let me know when it's posted.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 3:01:00 AM , Blogger Marty said...

    I procrastinted for a day before I posted mine. I could only think of recent books I'd read. I should have waited a little longer, as other books came to my mind, such as Angela's Ashes or Catcher in the Rye for making me laugh. I've read so many books, I can't even remember most of them.

    Congrats on the sobriety Granny!

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:17:00 AM , Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

    Hi Ann,

    I'll have to do this meme later, as I too have read so many books I can't figure out how I would your meme. Also I'm not a big one on classics as I read mostly fantasy. H-mm, I'll have to think on it and I'll report back when I have it done.

    Darn! I wish I knew about that tween book earlier, that might have helped me with my one and only, but she is 15 now.

    Janice~

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 8:52:00 AM , Blogger Xpatriated Texan said...

    I figured I'd just add mine in your comments:
    1) "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand - fortunately it didn't stunt my moral growth, it just forced me to think about things
    2) "The Public and Its Problems" by John Dewey. I'm still not sure that I don't need to read it a few more times to understand everything in there.
    3) SAS Survival Book by John Wiseman
    4) Anything ever written by Garrison Keillor. "The Collected Essays of Mark Twain" is up there, too.
    5) "The Collected Essays of Mark Twain"
    6) Anything ever written by Anne Rice
    7) "The Velveteen Rabbit" - still does when I get to the part where the rabbit is told "You were real because the boy's love made you real."
    8) "The Best American Spiritual Writing of 2005"
    9) "The Collected Writings of Alexander Hamilton"

     
  • At Monday, August 07, 2006 12:41:00 PM , Blogger shade said...

    LOL i like your list!!... I'm glad im not the only one who didn't pic a surviver book for the island:)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home