Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, July 30, 2006

While We're on the Subject of Poverty, etc.

Thanks to Delilah Boyd and her Snarky Sermon on the Blog.

Her Guest Minister, François Leduc, compares G. W. Bush, David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Jesus. He wonders who among so called Christians worships God and who worships Mammon.

On a somewhat related topic (poverty and illness), early this morning I read Worried American's excellent post directly below this one. I then found Zay N. Smith's Sunday Quick Takes column in the Chicago Sun-Times. He'd mentioned several months ago a way to help with several worthy causes at no cost except a little time. I posted it then, followed through for a while, and then it slipped my mind. Evidently it slipped his as well because he wrote a reminder to himself today.

In turn, I reminded myself and anyone else who might be interested.

You can find the link to his column in my "granny" post. The charity paragraph leads.

You might take a quick look at the "spell check" item as well. I love technology gone askew. I wonder if Blogger spell check has ever accepted "blog" as a word.

I found this snippet of scripture after I read Stephanie's comment this morning. I posted it as a response to her and after I read Delilah's post realized how well it seemed to fit with what I wanted to say here.

I'm not looking for converts or an argument about faith or the lack of it. Your beliefs are your own as are mine. These verses from the 25th Chapter of Matthew (KJV) are specifically directed to the hypocrites currently in power who profess Christianity and practice something else entirely.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:57:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    Ann, I have always believed that the GOP worships Mammom and the stupid flock that follows them are such robotrons, they could not distinguish anything intellectual because they are religious as opposed to spiritual. I have the Lhamsa bible that is a different translation and wanted to go through Rocco A Errico's book 'the seven keys' and 'and then there was light'. To reduce it down briefly; christianity is an eastern religion and as such is one of analogies, not literal interpretation.. I tried to start an online (blog) book study on that but never got it off the ground. Perhaps I should open it up (since I have it under another blog name) because so many fallacies and attitudes are based on the fundamentalists views and interpretation of the bible.. as if!
    Ingrid
    God or Mammon indeed! Great to point that out, btw..saw the las vegas article as well, isn't it awful that there is no alternative provided?/

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 11:16:00 AM , Blogger Maritzia said...

    Amen, Granny! I've always wondered why so many Christians think giving someone else a helping hand is a bad thing?

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 6:42:00 AM , Blogger Sothis said...

    I used to be a coordinator for a homeless shelter while I lived in the States. The organization used a rotating schedule of churches as the shelters and various congregations in the area provided the food and personnel. Our night each month was hosted at an Evangelical Free Church--very right wing (we were UUs). They actually CANCELLED the night three days before Easter one year (would have been our night). The homeless shelter being there that night would have bothered their set up for their Easter celebration. WWJD, I wonder?

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 8:54:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    I don't know if you've read some of the earlier posts about Christian reconstructionists. They base their beliefs on an extreme, twisted form of Calvinism. Nothing like the Presbyterians I grew up with.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home