Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Friday, July 28, 2006

A/C UNITS, SWAMP COOLERS, and COOLING DEVICES

Well, for pity's sakes!! I didn't know so many people were interested in water cooled devices. I've had 3 emails and 2 personal queries, plus email comments from relatives in Arizona and New Mexico. I have never remotely considered doing a post on cooling units. Interest must stem from this ungodly heat.

PT: Granny's water cooled device was briefly mentioned in my post "Killer Heat" 07/26/06.
She mentioned it in her post http://rocrebelgranny.blogspot.com/2006/07/its-later-than-i-thought-it-would-be.html#links . Since your comment, she posted explanation and photo on
http://rocrebelgranny.blogspot.com/2006/07/swamp-coolers-update.html .

Everyone else, see Progressive Traditionalist comment on "News on the Homefront, Local and Nationwide" below, as well as Granny's url above. Or you can google Swamp Coolers but PTs explanation is sufficient.

I believe they are much more economical than air conditioning units. When I had my house my summer electric bill sometimes ran higher than my mortgage payments, but my a/c man said my unit was too small for my square footage house so that's why the unit ran so much. Plus, from what I gleaned from PT's post on a/c, I failed to maintain it properly. Cleaning that outdoor compressor thing was important. Granny says they are cheaper to run.

However, Sweet Thang, they won't work very well here on the Gulf Coast. Our humidity is too high and water doesn't evaporate very readily - just like our sweat doesn't - and the units must have evaporation to do their job. Hog Caller, if you are inland, central or west Texas, they'd probably work fine. Ask your neighbors. If they have units hanging in their windows, they may be swamp coolers instead of window A/Cs. A lot of the people and at least one church uses them in Sabinal, Texas, where it is hot and dry. Do It To Me says he has one in his mobile home and he is pleased with it, but he spends a lot of time out west in the oil fields, I think.

Cousins, thank you for your input on your experience with the machines. . I believe the subject is covered. I am glad you all are faring ok. No doubt Glen will remain in his summer cottage in the mountains for the duration? :-) Stop referring to him as a wimp. It is the smart thing to do, to escape the worst of the heat.

Cheers, everyone. Stay safe.

1 Comments:

  • At Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:09:00 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

    i remember my grandparents having water coolers..i LOVED the smell they made..that damp, dank smell..dont know what it was ..but i loved it...hmm.will check and see if i can find any around here...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home