Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Saturday, May 06, 2006

TREASON TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION?

Our nation was founded by actions springing from dissent. In its founding we were guaranteed the right of free speech, freedom of the press, and the right of peaceful assembly (to voice dissent, among other reasons). In the history of our nation there have been times when there were strong oppositional forces and dissent was rampant. Probably the divisiveness of the Vietnam War was the worst time when dissent became bitter.

There is growing opposition to our government's policies and our president's approval rating has fallen to about 32% with about 60% disapproving, and a few with holding opinion.

Many people close to me are among that 32% who approve of President Bush, as are some of the readers of this blog. Both Granny and I have been subjected to ugly remarks from readers who did not agree with our articles and comments. I get ugly email, and sometimes get rather rabid responses in person. Aren't we entitled to the right of peaceful dissent? Aren't we entitled to free speech? Aren't blogs a form of the press and aren't we entitled to freedom of the press? Just because we are old does that make us "dinosaurs, out of touch with modern realities" and "too old and stupid to understand the new world"?

I believe in the wisdom of the axiom "never argue politics or religion" but also believe that "come, let us reason together" can be employed for people of goodwill to arrive at peaceful conclusions even though we hold opposing viewpoints. I firmly believe in the right of others to hold and voice different opinions and expect to be granted the same right. Unfortunately, not all people are willing to accept that. Some react with an astonishing virulence and I am puzzled by their intolerance to a different point of view.

Recently I was chatting with someone I thought cared about me and I mentioned in passing an incident wherein another person and I held opposing views. To my vast astonishment my friend exploded in a poisonous tirade against me. He called me stupid, said I was constantly "stirring up s**t" (by my blog or what??) and leaped to his feet pantomining stirring a huge vat of s**t. His actions were exaggerated as if he held a stirring spoon the size of an oar and the imaginary vat was the size of a hot tub, stirring in huge sweeps that caused him to lean far over and reach far from side to side. All the while he raved about me, my personal stupidity and the stupidity of my opinions and other derogatory remarks.

I was stunned and sat silent in complete disbelief as I watched his pantomine and listened to his tirade. At last he finished by leaning toward me, jabbing his finger in my face and screaming repeatedly that I needed to "go live with the sand niggers and drink camel dung soup." I waited until he ran down, then quietly stated my position and ended the chat session. I refuse to respond in like kind to such attacks and yet I will stand my ground and not back down from intimidating behavior. I was not intimidated but was deeply wounded and disappointed in him.

One of the sites I frequent is Peace Takes Courage, an anti-war publication; it is not treasonous, it is not anti-American. I sometimes extract brief videos from the site to illustrate certain views in my blogs. Yet it is subjected to hateful attacks from people who disagree with the
anti-war, anti-Bush publications. It is remarkably adult considering the age of its creator.

She published a brief video of the communications she received from the pro-Bush, pro-war crowd. WARNING: contains vulgar language. Why do so many people who disagree with you employ vulgar epithets to attack you? Like calling Granny a slut and me a pro-abortion faggot?
Very strange.
http://www.peacetakescourage.com/32.html

Children are not immune to attack. This conscientious 15 year old talented girl was inspired by her conscience and humanitarianism to create a little anti-war video. When it was published, the child received attacks and even death threats!! Can you imagine the mentality of people who would curse and threaten a child?? (She has numerous videos of her own as well as those submitted by others).

For her story and to view her little video, go to:
http://this-is-war.blogspot.com/2006/05/compassion-and-humanitarianism-of-15.html#links

7 Comments:

  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:25:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    I saw the young girl's video earlier today. Heartbreaking as were the attacks she received.

    I have always said people of good will can disagree. The world would be a dull place otherwise.

    These attacks go far beyond disagreement and into open hatred. They have no place in a presumably civilized society.

     
  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:09:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Presumably is the key word, Granny. I like to believe that the majority of Americans are civilized, but there have always been the uncivilized haters in every society. A terrible pity.

     
  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:28:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    It wasn't s--t, WA. It was racist c--t.

    Still haven't figured that one out. It wasn't even here where I can expect to anger people from time to time. It was over on granny which has to be one of the most innocuous blogs on the net.

    I will never understand that kind of hatred.

     
  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:51:00 PM , Blogger David Cho said...

    It is truly sad.

    Having been on the right of the political spectrum most of my life, I do have to say though that it cuts both ways, but we only tend to see ugliness of the opposing side.

     
  • At Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:39:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Yes, David. A hater is a hater is a hater; a hater by any other persuasion would be as evil.

    I have heard and read ugly remarks and vicious attacks from every race, every poltical side, and every gender. While surfing the 'net I have encountered such vicious diatribes that I felt I needed a bath with disinfectant afterwards.

     
  • At Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:00:00 PM , Blogger enigma4ever said...

    So sorry dear ladies if your wonderful blog has recieved any Hateful Cruel remarks...and tirades...that is not what America is about...and it is one thing to have an open discussion- but another to bash people....but the Leadrship of this Country has encouraged women, children and people of differences to be attacked- if that isn't rascist or even nazi- I don't know what makes people do such things....I know many women bloggers have indeed put up with quite a bit of Hate email- I get it in spurts....know that your blog is loved and appreciated for the fine forum it is...namaste

     
  • At Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:39:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Hi David

    I emailed you but I should probably say here that of course it comes from both sides.

    I read some of the well known political blogs but have learned to avoid the comments.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home