Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

And What Rough Beast?

Julian, most people know better than to ask me the time. I'll explain how to build a watch.

Maybe I see conspiracies where none exist or maybe I've read one too many Taylor Caldwell novels. Or Orwell or Huxley?

I do think we could eventually be owned by one huge conglomerate if we don't wake up and pay attention. It's just a feeling, nothing I can prove. I watch the mergers, the hostile takeovers, all that stock market stuff I don't begin to understand. I can also envision one world-wide religion; similar to the religious right in this country and controlled by the state (the huge conglomerate). I can envision being owned by another country because of the enormous amount of borrowing we've done to pay for the boondoggle in Iraq.

I see people going hungry, homeless, and without medical care in this country. Our educational system is failing the children, mortality rates among infants is much too high, our elders are abandoned.

I also think that we'll end up destroying the only world we have if we don't make a turnaround soon. Again, I have no facts to support this except what I read (especially the weather reports).

I don't think the rough beast is religious although some religions are certainly jumping on board. I'm a Christian (of sorts - Dobson, Robertson, and Falwell have consigned me to hell) and this certainly isn't my idea of Christianity. I think it's an evil thing born of greed and nurtured in apathy. I believe divisiveness, bigotry, and hatred are encouraged. Some cliches become cliches for a reason; divide and conquer is one of them.

Maybe I should quote "not with a bang, but a whimper". There is so much evil in the world these days, I don't even know how to begin. The rough beast sums it up as well as anything.

Another blogging friend had quoted Yeats, I came back with "Song of Wandering Angus" which got me to thinking about "The Second Coming", not for the first time.

I can't explain it any better than that and I don't feel like this all the time. I do see glimmers of hope.

I don't always make sense, even to me. It's just a general feeling of depression and an anger at the waste of humanity and resources caused by greed.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:07:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Amen and amen, Granny. We are definitely on the same page.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:46:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    Thanks for the terrific response, Granny. I know what you mean about not feeling this way all the time, but there are things going on that do make one worry. I enjoyed the poem, too, BTW. I hadn't seen or thought of it in years. There are different interpretations of it, and I wondered how you thought of it (although I had a hunch, like I said).

     
  • At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:59:00 PM , Blogger JBlue said...

    AND thanks for the link. Also, I responded to a post below about your great-granddaughter that I didn't see earlier. Sorry about that.

     
  • At Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:46:00 AM , Blogger DA said...

    Keep bearing those glimmers of hope in mind while posting these interesting eye-openings Granny and American.

    I too see a better future ahead. I even can't express with words the confidence I have in the humanitarian consciousness that lies drugged underneath materialistic feelings at the moment.

    We'll make sure the next generation (oh, that's me too :-) will dig it up and proclaim it!

     
  • At Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:24:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    Dmitri from your mouth to the ear of whatever power may be.

    Keep sending stuff as you find it. It's good to hear viewpoints from other countries.

    Julian, I'm curious now. Was your hunch anyplace close to what I said? I really was rambling on.

     
  • At Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:07:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Progressive Traditionalist, please, please tell me the name of that book!! I want it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home