Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Murdered Soldiers - and a WWI Survivor.



Re: the murdered at Fort Hood, Texas.

Yellowdog Granny at: http://yellowdoggrannie.blogspot.com has posted a thumbnail bio on each of the victims where they come alive to us as people instead of just names. Read her post at the above address, scroll down to the following post:

"Tuesday, November 10, 2009

GODDESS BLESS YOU ONE AND ALL"



and take the opportunity to wish her a happy 66th birthday for November 11th.

..................................................................................................................
A World War I Survivor... passed away in 1992 at age 93. My Father.
(Photo taken from my daughter's family album. This is my father: J.L.W. - WWI - US Army - Wagoneer. He suffered a knee injury when firing a Knee Mortar, an obsolete weapon now.)

November 11th was also my father's birthday. During WWI he and other soldiers were in a field near camp digging some thing when they heard shouting, gunfire and a huge hullaballoo. The camp had just received word of the Armistice --the war was over. One of his comrades wondered aloud what was going on. My father casually joked, "I guess they're celebrating my birthday".
The grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren get quite a laugh about the uniform but we tell them it is the man inside that matters, not military fashion of the day. The only physical injuries he suffered was the knee injury but he was plagued by horrific memories for many years. All wars are terrible.

COMMENTS:
Blogger Dusty Rose said...

It was good of Yellowdog Granny to post all those bios. The memorial service was really moving.

I'm glad you posted this about Grandpa. I used to laugh at his uniform but I don't any more. I love and respect the man inside that uniform. He was a hell of a man!

Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:21:00 AM

Delete
Blogger YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

thanks..I thought it was important for everyone to know who they were..not just the 13 that got killed...

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:50:00 AM

Delete

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home