Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Universal Health Care

I found this tongue in cheek column by Jocelyn Chao of The Onion at Callooh's Tulgey Wood.

It's funny and would be funnier yet if it didn't hit so close to home.

I'm too tired to start ranting again about my husband and health care. He may have misunderstand what some hospital staffer told him yesterday when he was discharged so I'll withhold judgment until we can contact his doctor on Monday.

Briefly, when they can't arrive at a diagnosis, it seems that they're blaming the patient. He's senile or mentally ill or malingering. He's bored and using his frequent trips to the hospital to break the monotony. Give me a break!! He's none of the above of course. They as much as told him not to come back to the hospital.

Enough. When I find out more of what's going on, I'll be back with an update.

Meantime, I'm glad to have him back home one more time.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:03:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    If they cannot determine the cause of Ray's illness, then ofcourse the fault must be him, not the "experts".In spite of all the marvelous technological and other advances in medicine, it still is not an exact science. Sometimes the doctors have to know what to look for in order to find it, requiring creative guesswork or a brilliant flash of diagnostics.

    I once worked with a physician who was a veritable genius at creative guesswork and often thought of diagnoses that other doctors had missed; testing for that particular ailment proved him correct. But had he not suspected the cause of the patient's undiagnosed ailment, the proper tests for it would not have been run and thus found.

    I always had excellent memory and could almost quote chapter and verse of a book source for a subject. When my memory began to fail I was greatly distressed and bugged my PCP about it, refusing to accept her soothing words that it was simply age. (My father and grand father lived to be 93 and their minds were still sharp). To shut me up, my PCP referred me to a Neurologist, who apparently had reviewed my medical records thoroughly before I arrived for my appointment. He was dismayed when I refused to have my son sit in on the exam, as if he thought I was not mentally capable of handling my own medical care. When I entered the exam room, there was a PSYCHIATRIST sitting there that he had called in on consult and she conducted the bulk of the interview and tests. To my intense annoyance, it was obvious that they had pre-determined that I was a mental case instead of having a physiological problem. They finally concluded that I was a pretty sharp old woman in spite of my griping.

    I freely admit that I am eccentric in many ways and can be something of a koo-koo bird when the spirit moves me, but I am not a psychiatric case.

    And neither is Ray! The dorks!

     
  • At Monday, March 19, 2007 1:26:00 AM , Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

    "It's in your head" is the medical world's way of saying I don't know what is going on. If you and your Husband were mega-millionaires, you can bet they would be fussing over him day and night!!

     
  • At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:29:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Yes, but if you have limited income, why "waste" money on someone who is just a "burden" on the State. Or who is old and "useless" - the faster the old and poor die off, the better for society it will be, seems often to be the prevailing attitude of the State and the insurance companies.

    Never mind what the old person may have contributed to society in his younger years. It is rather, "yeah, but what have you done for me lately?" Seems to be little gratitude. Like the way our veterans are treated.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home