Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bait and Switch

Does it come as any surprise that politicians lie? When the religious right was campaigning for the anti-gay marriage law last year, they assured the voters that it wouldn't affect any protections currently in place for all domestic partners.

They have changed their tune as most of us knew they would.

I live in California which hasn't yet approved gay civil unions or marriage but has approved domestic partners. They don't receive many of the protections which automatically come with marriage but it's a start.

We've been successful so far in beating back the challenges here.

Since anything that affects my son also affects me, I'm quite active in the struggle for gay rights. I would have been in any event but for me it's personal.

Gay adoption/foster care is legal here. I've probably said this before but if I don't make it to see the girls grown (youngest now 11), I'd like their Uncle Tim to take over. If the religious right gets their way, that won't happen. Even if he does, any legal rights he would have in California might not carry over to another state. I don't understand why "full faith and credit" doesn't apply but evidently it doesn't. It isn't fair and it isn't right.

I visit several blogs written by GLBT adoptive and foster parents. Daddy, Papa & Me writes about his family life in San Francisco with their beautiful adopted daughter. He also writes about gay rights and spells out the Michigan outrage better than I ever could. It's personal to him as well as to me.

I borrowed the title of this post from him. Bait and switch says it all.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:14:00 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

    thank's for the tip..I went by and left a comment..he is so right...so scary what they are doing to 'people's rights'...

     
  • At Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:36:00 PM , Blogger Gadfly said...

    What the crap difference does it makes about what people do in their bedrooms as long as they are good, decent folks and can give kids their most important needs, a loving and stable home? This is b*ll sh*t! Those radical so-called Christians low lifes that preach against gay folks are always having scandals where one of their leaders gets caught in homosexual sex or chasing prostitutes. Oh yeah, they get prayed over, get forgiven and promise never to do it again , until the next time. Big wheels in Washington get caught molesting teen age pages and them RRs say nothing. If it's true that homosexual people are born that way, then their sex orientation is not going to affect kids that are born hetersexual. And it's proven that gay parents are no more likely to molest kids in their home than hetersexual parents.(How much incest do you read about in hetersexual homes?)
    So what's the big deal? Those radical fake Christians want to force everybody to believe like they do and plenty of our leaders in Washington go along with those pukes. Did any of youall read the voting record of who all voted against the gay marriage deal? Old Worried was going to post on that but couldn't get the pdf thing to show up, or something. I hate haters. Hah!

     
  • At Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:04:00 PM , Blogger Granny said...

    Gadfly, I'm going to try to WA's post from here but I may take a little while.

    I'll get back to it shortly.

     
  • At Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought you might get a kick out of this site: God Hates Shrimp. I think they do a good job parodying the "religious right."

    To me, "gay rights" is just a subdivision of "human rights." When the founding fathers wrote about all men being created equal, with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, they didn't put an asterisk by it.

    (Man, I'm having a heck of a time getting past the Word Verification today. I hope it goes through this time.)

     
  • At Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:08:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thomaslb: Thank you for that amusing link. I needed a ha-ha today! Very good point!

    Incidentally, re: the church sign. Louisana cajuns and crawdad eating Texas say "suck the head, eat the tail". I don't know if anyone sucks the fat from shrimp heads, though. Personally, I eat the tails but leave heads alone on shrimp or crawdads. And I voraciously consume shrimp, crayfish (crawdads), oysters, mussels, clams, etc. Woe unto me, the sinner!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home