Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Molly Ivins

I didn't know until a couple of months ago until an online friend asked me about her that Molly was so ill.

Here's the latest from Editor & Publisher, reprinted in Common Dreams. It doesn't look good. Molly is one of my favorites of course. The Lone Star state has produced many fine, strong, and brave women. Molly is one of them; my blogging partners here in their own way are as well. And of course my all time favorite, Governor Ann Richards. Much as he'd like us to beieve it, we can't blame Texas for George Bush. He's Connecticut all the way.

Molly Ivins Hospitalized in Ongoing Battle With Cancer
by E & P Staff


AUSTIN -- Almost three weeks ago, Molly Ivins wrote that she would dedicate every single one of her syndicated columns from now on to the issue of stopping the war in Iraq -- until it ended. But she has managed to finish only one more column since.


Molly Ivins
The gravely ill Texas columnist has been hospitalized again this week in her ongoing battle with breast cancer.

Her assistant Betsy Moon says she may be able to go home Monday. She adds that those close to Ivins are ``not sure what's going to happen, but she's very sick.''

The 62-year-old columnist had taken an earlier break from her syndicated column, but resumed writing earlier this month.

Last October she had suggested this headline to an E&P interviewer: "Molly Ivins Still Not Dead."

E&P wrote then, "The third recurrence of the breast cancer she has been battling since 1999 (and which recently claimed her good friend, former Texas Gov. Ann Richards) has left the 62-year-old Ivins with precarious balance, minimal hair, and no illusions about the redemptive quality of life-threatening illness. 'I'd hoped to become a better person from confronting my own mortality,' she laughs. 'But it hasn't happened.'"

In the Jan. 11th column, which opposed the troop escalation, Ivins wrote “We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war....If you can, go to the peace march in Washington on Jan. 27. We need people in the streets, banging pots and pans and demanding, 'Stop it, now!'"

But this was the last newspaper column she has been able to write.

The column she wrote before that, a few days earlier, opened, "The president of the United States doesn't have the sense God gave a duck. So it's up to us. You and me.

"I don't know why Bush is just standing there like a frozen rabbit, but it's time we found out. The fact is we have to do something about it. This country is being torn apart by an evil and unnecessary war, and it has to be stopped now."

She vowed, "This will be a regular feature of mine, like an old-fashioned newspaper campaign. Every column, I'll write about this war until we find some way to end it.

"Every time, we'll review some factor we should have gotten right."

Nearly 400 newspapers subscribe to her column.

The longtime journalist and former New York Times reporter got her third cancer diagnosis more than a year ago and has undergone chemotherapy.

© Copyright 2007 Editor & Publisher

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:16:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ann, sorry; that's .granny {background:color;} (insert color you want for background)/ If you don't want background, don't put it in. If you want a color for lettering other than purple, delete purple and type in what you want. Or tell me and I'll change it.

    I'm really sorry about Molly. She has long been a favorite of mine. Really a gutsy lady.

     
  • At Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:51:00 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

    ahhhhhh fuck. I knew she was battling cancer but didn't know that it had gotten worse...she's a tough ole broad, but this cancer is tough too...it breaks my heart..she along with ann richards were and still are my heroes...i miss ann like crazy and the thought of losing molly just does me in...we need our women leaders....

     
  • At Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:04:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    I will tell you this, I am very lucky to live in Austin and had the good fortune to see Jim Hightower at work in one of his favourite restaurents (I don't bother him and other people who recognize him don't). I suspect he works on his Chronicle (the Austin Chronicle) columns (two of them side by side) that is published later that week. Ironically about Molly Ivins is that I always read her column in the Arizona Republic, but I don't think she's a regular feature here in Austin in the Austin American Statesman. To which I don't subscribe btw. I am sorry that her third bout of cancer is taking its toll like that.
    Ingrid

     
  • At Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:52:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    I didn't realize she was so ill either. I used to subscribe to the Texas Observer and she and Hightower always had articles in that. I've not read it in a while though. I sure hope she pulls through.

     
  • At Monday, January 29, 2007 1:10:00 AM , Blogger Daniel said...

    America needs a leader like never before, someone who can pull it out of the quagmire it's in at home and abroad.

    It also needs the agitators like Molly and, of course, your good selves.

    We'll all keep our fingers crossed for her. Cheers!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home