Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

THERE IS NO JOY IN HINTERVILLE; THE MIGHTY COLTS HAVE "STRUCK OUT"



Pride and joyous enthusiasm turns to tears as the Mighty Colts lose the Play Off.
**********************************************************************************
WA: Although I speak of my family only on occasion, I have posted mention of two of my great-grandsons engaged in playing pee wee Flag Football. The Colts were a first year team but won many of their games, one at 37-0, and made it to the play-offs. The little fellows were wild with excitement, completely pumped after their remarkable winning season, and had high hopes for winning the play-off and climbing higher on their road to victories.

At last they faced a second year team but lost by one yard (whatever that means). They were heart broken by their dashed dreams of glory and were inconsolable. Not even pizza and ice cream assuaged their grief. Losing is a part of life but it is a hard lesson for people this young. They were too young and inexperienced to accept the adults' praise at their achievements and how well they had succeeded as a first year team. All they understood was, "we lost!"

There is no joy in the hinterlands.
********
Texas is basically a football state and even high school football is a serious matter among died-in-the-wool football fans. I am a bred to the bone Texan, served on the Pep Squad and marching Eaglets in school, but must admit that I know little about the game, and the rules of Flag Football are a mystery to me. I am a baseball fan, a devotee of Nolan Ryan (I even watch his commercials), and a supporter of our Houston Astros, especially our aging Bs, Biggio and Bagwell.

However, knowing the game is not essential for a great-grandmom to support and sympathize with my little ones in their sports efforts and their grief over their loss. And I understand that as a first year team, just learning the game, they did GOOD! You GO Colts!!

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:24:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    I'm trying to remember where your third Astro "B" went. I distinctly remember three at some point because we dreaded having them come to town.

    Good for your little guys making it to the playoff.

     
  • At Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:43:00 PM , Blogger Sherhazade said...

    ADORABLE!

     
  • At Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:16:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    There have been a number of Killer Bs - Beltran, Backe, Berkman, Bell, and Berry - But Biggio and Bagwell have lasted throughout. They are Houston's best loved and have outlasted everyone. They are aging, for sports stars, so may not be on the roster too much longer and we will hate to see them go.

     
  • At Friday, November 24, 2006 8:01:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    what a cute little booger, I'm sorry they were so saddened. Isn't it nice that those are the sad parts of life when it could be worse? It'll be a memory for him though. As for football or sports in general, I am not particularly fond of it. I love(d) playing games and sports, but the fanaticism that came with it would always provoke a 'get a life' from me. So the Horns lost from the Aggies today..yeah yeah, I know..it's sad! (not lol)
    you're great grandma Worried, I'm sure you're creating some good memories for this handsome little boy!
    hugs
    (or should I say hook'm horns)
    Ingrid

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home