Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 11, 2001

I probably would have let tomorrow's date go unremarked but then I read my first non-political blog of the day. My friend Chris at Rude Cactus who lives near Washington, DC, said what stays with him is how blue the sky was that day.

Then he asked us what we remembered and I started writing. Here's what I said:

========

"It's been 8 years now and it's still, in some ways, like yesterday. We never forget where we were and what we were doing.

It was just after dawn on the west coast and I had begun getting the great-granddaughters ready for school when I heard the first report. It didn't seem that serious - they said it was a small plane. A few minutes later we all knew what was happening. I called my sons (oldest in Army National Guard) and continued watching it become more unreal. By then I'd decided to keep the girls out of school for the day. It wasn't fear as much as it was wanting them close.

I don't think there was anyone who wasn't affected in some way. The company I retired from (sort of - it was bought after I retired by a larger company located in the WTC) lost over 300 people.

And it's trivial compared to the deaths and the destruction but it was the day my then 6 year old great-granddaughter became afraid of the planes she'd previously loved. She's over most of it but still cringes once in a while.

I thought I'd lived through the worst with the assassinations and attempted assassinations of the 60's and 70's. Events have proven me wrong."

========

And events continue to do so and yet I still hope for a brighter future; if not for me, then for that same great-granddaughter and all the other kids of the world.

COMMENTS:
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Ann ~~ Great posts and videos
about that awful time. I think I cried for a week, glued to the TV.
I hope you and Ray are keeping well
and the girls visit often.
Much love, dear friend, Take care,
Merle.

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:07:00 AM

Delete
Blogger audrey` said...

The pictures of 9/11 are still very fresh in my memory. SAD! So many innocent lives were lost on that tragic day.

Take care, my dear friend (((HUGS))) Ann.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:37:00 AM

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home