Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Discrimination in the Workplace

Silly me. I thought the Civil Rights Act of 1964, by including women at the last minute before the Act was passed, would have eliminated the type of discrimination in hiring taking place in Pennsylvania (and other states).

They're getting away with asking women about their marital status, number of children, whether they plan a family, and other personal information. They've refused to hire women based on the answers to these questions. As far as I know, the same questions aren't asked of men. Well of course they aren't!!

The last time I looked, the states were allowed to go beyond Federal requirements. They weren't allowed to do less than Federal law allowed. How is Pennsylvania getting away with this?

On a related issue, A friend of mine applied for a position at a national motel chain and received an employement application asking questions about her religious beliefs. I told her she should have reported them on the spot.

I digress.

The link is to a Moms' Rising petition to bring a stop to these practices. A more complete story is here in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. I believe at least one of the links will take you a table of the laws state by state and how they affect women and minorities. I looked at it yesterday and was pleased to see my state of California was not only in compliance across the board but was ahead of the Federal government in some areas.

I'd appreciate your help dragging Pennsylvania and the other reluctant states into at least the 20th Century if not this one.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:31:00 PM , Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

    Part of the problem is these businesses know that this administration, and the courts they have packed, will turn a blind eye to most everything but murder in broad daylight.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:31:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    As the theocrats advocate that women's place is in the home, look for more and more of this as the fundies gain power. Little by little, bit by bit, they carefully implement their agendas.

    Also, re: asking about a prospective employee's religion. Again, as the fundies gain power, I believe we shall see more of this. If one does not profess to believe their way, no job for you, you infidel!!

     
  • At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:51:00 PM , Blogger SheaNC said...

    I support your efforts to being about equality in the workplace. I don't have any stories myself, as I have somehow found myself being one of a minority of men in jobs that are primarily staffed by women, and I've pretty much been supervised by women all my life, too. Maybe it's given me a unique perspective on gender equality.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:55:00 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

    about 15 years ago i applied for a job at baylor university(largest baptist school in america)for asst. librian which i was more than qualified for...i filled out the application and knew right away i wasnt going to get this job...and when i handed it in the lady said did you fill it all out? and i said all but one question..she said which one was that...and i said where it says what religion i am....she said why didn't you fill that one out..and i said first of all, it's against the law to ask that question.and second of all, it's none of your fucking business..
    figured since i knew i wasn't getting the job i didnt have to kiss any ass...
    as far as i know they still have that on the application...

     
  • At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:44:00 AM , Blogger David Cho said...

    I get asked about my marital status a lot. I think it's because I was applying for a job as a software programmer and basically they expect 70 hours from you a week.

     
  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:22:00 AM , Blogger Chuck said...

    Gender discrimination is still rampant in the workplace. I know you address the discrimination during the application process, but it doesn't stop there.

    My wife just recently settled out of court in one such case. I was proud of her standing against them because of what she went through while she worked for them. It was three long, expensive and emotional years but the satisfaction (mentally & financially) in the end was worth it.

    More women need to tell the "good old boy" companies to their faces that they won't be treated like second class citizens because of their gender...AND SHOW THEM THEY MEAN BUSINESS.

     
  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:27:00 AM , Blogger Chuck said...

    Oh & I forgot to add that the Civil Rights Commission is CRAP, imo! I think they'll find in favor of the discriminating employer 9 times out of 10- unless of course its a high profile case and they can get some positive media coverage. So people shouldn't let that stop them. Find a good attorney and go after them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home