Is America Burning - a Forum To Discuss Issues

All comments welcome, pro or con. Passionate ok, but let's be civil. ...Pertinent comments will be published on this blog. Air your viewpoints.

Photobucket

Skyline - Houston, Texas

Thursday, August 17, 2006

THE THEOCRATS ARE HARD AT WORK ON THIS ELECTION.



Group to Rally Evangelical Voters

By Alan Cooperman

Conservative Christian radio host James C. Dobson's national organization, Focus on the Family, said yesterday that it will work with affiliated groups in eight battleground states to mobilize evangelical voters in the November elections.

To view the entire article, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081501098.html?referrer=emailarticle

� 2002 - 2006 The Washington Post Company

************************************************************************************

TONY PERKINS - FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL

Horrors! Christians are Voting!
Today's Washington Post carries a story about my friend Jim Dobson. Dr. Dobson is encouraging Christians to register and vote in bellwether states this fall. The Post story uses scare quotes around the words "family policy councils" that have been organized by Focus on the Family. We plan to keep reporters busy this fall.

FRCAction, our* legislative arm, is co-sponsoring a major Values Voters Summit in Washington, D.C. 22-24 September. We'll partner with Focus on the Family Action, American Family Association Action, and Americans United to Preserve Marriage for this important briefing. FRC is also planning another simulcast. This one will be in Boston in October and the theme will be the threat posed to religious liberty by the groups demanding recognition of "same-sex marriage." [how does same-sex marriage threaten religious liberty?]

We are also cosponsoring Stand for the Family rallies in Minnesota, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania this fall with our friends at Focus on the Family Action. Predictably, Barry Lynn of AU reacted with alarm to the news. He called this effort a "church-based political machine" and threatened participating churches with a loss of their tax-exempt status. This is a hollow threat. Lynn and his ilk never complain when liberals go into churches and pass the bucket for donations. Regardless of what Lynn and other may say we will stand up for the family-- for faith and for our freedom [Bush buzz words--]

7 Comments:

  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Damn you Worried! I was going to blog on this today, and you beat me to it. Fine... I'm going to link to your post. So there!!!

    Just remember that what Dobson is doing skirts the edges of legality, and when we see it we should, TELL ON 'EM!!! Tattle like vengeful gradeschoolers!

     
  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:59:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    oSorry, Kvatch, but you're welcome to the link.

    The storm troopers for Dobson advise pastors of the law, so no campaigning is supposed to be allowed during voter registration.

    However, pastors may, during sermons or announcements, thank or praise certain people who just happen to be candidates for their excellent blah-blah-blah, not so subtly steering the congrgation to vote for that person. Conversely, a pastor may speak against certain people in a sermon or announcement and dispose the congregation to have a negative attitude towards them at voting time. And all without mentioning a word of campaign/voting no-nos.

     
  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:59:00 PM , Blogger Ingrid said...

    Howdy Worried! I am in Houston with the family today and tomorrow (we arrived yesterday from Austin) and we're leaving sometime friday afternoon..aren't you in Houston?? If so, maybe we can hook up..is there an email for you guys? I'm typing on my husband's notebook (I am missing my mouse) from the hotel's wireless.. can't do without my blogging!
    If I find your email, I'll try to email you my cell number..
    btw..these stories make me scared thinking that the GOP will win again..eekh! Seeing these megachurches here in Houston too, I think o brother, the dumb sheep will flock from the pulpit to the voter's box crying; the gays are coming the gays are coming!! aarkh
    Ingrid

     
  • At Friday, August 18, 2006 2:10:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Got your email and replied same, Ingrid. Perhaps next time we can have more advanced notice and time to make a date. Marty lives nearby, too.

     
  • At Saturday, August 19, 2006 2:55:00 AM , Blogger David Cho said...

    I had several conversations with my friends who strongly support the Religious Right.

    What I find interesting is how deeply polarized we are. My friends feel more under siege than ever because of the unpopularity of "their guy" George Bush whom they feel is getting the shaft. Despite the fact that the RR's polical clout at a peak, they feel more mistreated, and disrespected than ever before, and are clamoring for even more domination.

    And then obviously those outside the RR feel threatened by the likes of Pat Robertson, James Dobson, etc.

    As a former supporter of the Religious Right, the us-against-them mindset which permeats our society is deeply troubling to me.

     
  • At Saturday, August 19, 2006 7:23:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It is very troubling, David. Very divisive. I dislike reading the RR and CR's publications but I do in order to see what they are up to. Their propaganda is quite loaded with psychological phrases and buzz words, often with no tie-ins to the sentence or paragraph but seemingly thrown in for impact. It sounds good on paper until you think about it and see it makes little or no sense. But it does have impact and the believers come to think it is truth. Also, they pound over and over how persecuted they are and how the "liberals" are trying to destroy them or their policies. They depict the non-RR Christians and unbelievers as the enemy. Which, ofcourse to the CRs, we are.

     
  • At Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:38:00 AM , Blogger Granny said...

    I emailed you my comment David but it might as well go here. It was nothing I wouldn't say publicly.

    ===============

    What I find interesting is that we are similar in some respects.

    You've moved toward the middle; I've been pushed from slightly left of
    middle further left in self defense.

    That's polarization.

    It's troubling to me too. Where once I would have looked for common
    ground, now it seems there is none and I fight them at every turn.

    WA and I both consider ourselves Christians. I don't know about WA
    but sometimes I want to hide my Christianity under a bushel to avoid
    being lumped in with Dobson, Robertson, and the others.

    They're disrespected because they're not satisfied with practicing
    their own beliefs as is their right. They want to impose their narrow
    view on everyone else and so far as I'm concerned there's very little
    difference between them, the Taliban, and the more extreme of the
    ayatollahs.

    I don't want to live like that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home